cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from “old EE” broadband to “new EE” broadband.

accurate4766
Investigator
Investigator

I recently noticed a promotion in the EE app for a discounted unlimited 30-day rolling SIM available to EE broadband customers. I'm currently in a 24-month broadband contract with EE that started in February. Excited about the offer, I reached out to EE's customer service on 150 to see if I could take advantage of this deal.

However, I was informed that my current broadband is classified under "old EE" which is considered legacy and doesn’t support the new discount SIM deal. When I inquired about migrating to the "new EE" broadband to become eligible, I was told that such a switch isn't possible until my current contract expires in 2025. I even considered upgrading to a higher-speed broadband plan, hoping it might shift me to a "new EE" plan, but I was informed that this would incur a £400 early exit fee.

I'm reaching out to the community to understand if there's really no feasible way for an existing broadband customer like me to transition to this "new EE" plan. Also, it seems counterintuitive to pay an early exit fee when I'm considering an upgrade to a more expensive contract, which would extend my commitment to EE. Has anyone else faced a similar situation or have insights on this matter?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
accurate4766
Investigator
Investigator

For the benefit of anyone else stumbling upon this thread with similar questions, I wanted to share an update from my latest conversation with an EE representative.

I've learned that in order to switch to the "new EE" broadband, you must either be out of your current contract or be willing to pay the early exit fees. However, you are still able to upgrade to other "old EE" contracts.

Regarding the errors on the EE website that I and perhaps others have encountered, they have confirmed that they occur because we are on this "old EE" type of plan. Unfortunately, it seems our scenarios weren't fully considered when the broadband page was designed, leading to these generic errors.

On a more positive note, the representative did mention that EE is actively working on a plan to migrate existing customers who are still within their contracts to these new plans. However, there's no specific timeline for when this might happen. So, while it's a waiting game for now, it seems there might be a path forward for those of us looking to upgrade under current contracts.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@accurate4766   Unfortunately your bound by the T&Cs of the contract you’re currently in. 

@Chris_B just to confirm, you are saying that mid term upgrades do not exist for EE broadband and the only way to upgrade to a more expensive plan is to terminate the contract early and pay the fee?

This is different to EE mobile where mid term upgrades are allowed and even encouraged.

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@accurate4766    what broadband package do you currently have?

Is there a upgrade option available to you

@Mustrum 

Plan: “Full Fibre Max Gigabit without landline”

I have attempted to follow the broadband upgrade page but it takes me to the same error every time. I’ve tried multiple devices and networks etc. "Sorry, looks like a technical error"

I’ve seen other users reporting the same error that are currently on an “old EE” broadband plan but I’ve not seen anyone with a solution yet.

@accurate4766   no doubt there will be small print saying "for new customers"!!

But given you are on the max available package and not even 1/2 way through your contract it is hardly suprising.

Many of use are still on FTTC, but coping OK, and struggle to understand the need for 1Gb for residential use. Then again my car will do more than 70MPH.  Sorry, just trying to put things into perspective!

@Mustrum

Thanks for your input, though I must clarify that I'm not here to debate the practicality of high-speed internet. While it's great to hear that many are managing well with FTTC and lower speeds, my situation is a bit different. Given that everyone in my household works from home, a fast and reliable connection isn't just a luxury—it's a necessity.

Also, it's worth mentioning that the new 1.6Gbps package is indeed available at my address. So, I'm not chasing a hypothetical upgrade but a very real and potentially beneficial one. I appreciate the effort to "put things into perspective," but I'm more interested in hearing from those who might have navigated similar situations with EE or have specific insights about transitioning to their new plans.

@accurate4766   I do understand, and the last few years has changed many people's requirements.

But and it is a huge BUT, using a residential service to meet business needs has been one of the biggest problems that some many people working from hone fail to plan for.

Hopefully you will hear from others in similar situations, but maybe you should consider a business solution to connectivity requirements.

accurate4766
Investigator
Investigator

For the benefit of anyone else stumbling upon this thread with similar questions, I wanted to share an update from my latest conversation with an EE representative.

I've learned that in order to switch to the "new EE" broadband, you must either be out of your current contract or be willing to pay the early exit fees. However, you are still able to upgrade to other "old EE" contracts.

Regarding the errors on the EE website that I and perhaps others have encountered, they have confirmed that they occur because we are on this "old EE" type of plan. Unfortunately, it seems our scenarios weren't fully considered when the broadband page was designed, leading to these generic errors.

On a more positive note, the representative did mention that EE is actively working on a plan to migrate existing customers who are still within their contracts to these new plans. However, there's no specific timeline for when this might happen. So, while it's a waiting game for now, it seems there might be a path forward for those of us looking to upgrade under current contracts.

@accurate4766    thanks for coming back and sharing the info.