cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart WiFi Disks - Wired Ethernet Backhaul?

talksr86
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there,

I am due to switch from a copper EE broadband connection to FTP.

I noticed that EE also do a Smart WiFi Add On for the broadband package for £10 per month whereby you get the EE WiFi Disks included to help boost your wireless coverage.

I currently have a not fit for purpose Linksys Mesh setup which has never worked in the 6 months I have had it - utter nightmare and not worth buying.

Can anyone tell me...

1. Can the Smart WiFi disks from EE work on an ethernet backhaul? If so, does the disk have to plug directly into the EE broadband router or could it connect to a gigabit network switch which then connects to the EE router? My house has ethernet in the bedrooms so I would like to utilise this for a better and more reliable WiFi signal.
  2. Are the Smart WiFi disks compatible with Apple Homekit devices?
  3. It doesn't mention in the deal how many disks you get. Is it just the one to go with the router which also has Wi-Fi?

Just weighing up my options to see if I should pay the £10 a month for 18 months for the Smart WiFi or just get a new independent mesh WiFi system which might give me a bit more control. 

Many thanks in advance. 😉

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master
  1. You initially connect the Smart WiFi Disk by Ethernet to the EE Smart Router until it confirms it is connected. You then remove it from the router & place it where you need it.
  2. Unlikely! They really are only compatible with the EE Smart routers.
  3. You get 1 Disk to start with + a guarantee that if this doesn't completely do the job, up to 2 further Disks can be supplied (delivery charge of £6.99 may apply).
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks very much for the reply 👍

Thanks! You're welcome 🙂 ! Glad I could be of assistance & it is now sorted.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)