Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub 3 issues

kryptor
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me why EE don't tell people on the phone when they are upgrading that the new 'SMART HUB 3' isn't as smart as it says on the tin?

After having the shiny new box plugged in for my 1.6G fibre connection, I no longer have access to DDNS which is something I rely on when away from home.  Then to top it off my home network is alreayd hardwired around 99% of the home with my own wifi access points running at WIFI6.  EE seem to think that I should only be using their WIFI abd therefore keep turning it back on in the SH3 settings....surely if I turn it off then it should stay off!

Who has access to remotely monitor my SH3 exactly and why are they turning settings back on!  If their WIFI discs were POE enabled then I would consider using, but as it stands they need power and the locations of my current WIFI access points won't be replaceable because of this limit.

EE come up with some answers before I throw this piece of crap in the bin and then got and get my own router!

5 REPLIES 5
juiceof2limes
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If you do not need/have Digital Voice then no need to use the EE router, I would ditch it and use your own. That way you get a full featured router with DDNS and everything else you might need.

WIFI gets turned back on when the firmware in the SH+ is updated and I to wish they would stop doing this. If I have it turned off, then it's off for a reason!

timprocter
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@kryptor 

EE come up with some answers before I throw this piece of crap in the bin and then got and get my own router!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mate, do yourself a favour and get your own router, if you read these forums it's full of the same complaints regarding the supplied Smart Hub they send you.

Bought my own router and never looked back since.BE19000.jpg

Full Fibre Busiest Home Bundle 1.6Gb.
kryptor
Contributor
Contributor

@timprocter 

Thanks for posting the pic of the router, was just about to ask if anyone had any suggestions.  Happily enough I have some other TP-Link kit on the network so would make this easier to keep it consistent too 😀 

Cheers

@juiceof2limes 

Cheers for the help with this one.  I'm going to look into a new router with shiny 2.5Gb port and perhaps give that a whirl foe a bit.   Agreed if I turn it off then leave it off!

GosforthUK
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Also, EE smart Hub Plus (2023) SH31B is not fit for the purpose of 1.6 Gbps Broadband be fair...

Yes, over WiFi You might get close to it, but as You don't want to use internal WiFi (same as myself), You come to another limitation: ALL HUB LAN ports are ONLY 1 Gbps, which means, your hard-wired network can't utilize 1.6 Gbps package, because HUB is throttling it to 1 Gbps only hard-wired...

It can't do DDNS (some people reported that this was in the menu before, but for some reason, after the FW update some time ago, this option was removed...)

After each SW update (which luckily enough doesn't happen too often) HUB switch ON internal WiFi... Annoying as hell...

I just wish, as I find IPV6 settings for my Omada Setup, and will be able to avoid supplied EE Hub completely. Until then, unfortunately, I need to use it...

Does anybody know the correct settings for IPV6 crippled by EE's idea of "non-address" and /56  instead of typical /64, please?