cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for Fibre Plus, now getting Fibre only speeds.

CraigG70
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Been with EE a while now, and I started with great speeds of around 78Mb, and the connection was rock solid.

Then, over the coming months I noticed my connection slowly dropping speeds, until it settled on 67Mb, and has been fairly solid ever since - although, I might add that the 78Mb connection was the most stable.

Woke up today, and I now see my connection is down to normal Fibre speeds of around 46 - 49Mb, and any attempt to reboot the router and it sticks to 46-49Mb. Not happy at all.

How can I lose 20Mbps overnight ? Are EE slowing me down, for some reason ?

Things I have tried,

1 - Move connection to test socket - nothing changed.

2 - Change filter to new filter - nothing changed.

3 - Switch off all wireless connections - I use a wired connection - nothing changed.

4 - Move Router to a cooler place, now gone from hallway, to room where socket is - nothing changed.

5 - Reset Router to factory settings - nothing changed.

Now, there is nothing wrong with 46 - 49Mb, but these are normal fibre settings, and cheaper internet, I am paying for fibre plus, and have enjoyed 67Mb this entire year.

So, what can EE staff do about this ?

Can I request a full profile reset ?

So, the connection goes back to it's full speeds, and learning mode again.

Look forward to some EE staff for help in this,

Craig.

14 REPLIES 14
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Welcome to EE's Home Broadband Forum.

It's not mainly EE staff here. We're mainly just users like you trying to help others & I'm 1 of them. So ...

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
CraigG70
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi,

I appreciate the reply, but I don't really see any relevance in your questions ?

For example, I did post that I am using a WIRED connection, and have been since I got the router.

And for No.3, again, what relevance is that ? I have been on 67Mb for the ENTIRE year, so what relevance would a BT availability checker achieve ? Nothing.

Anyway, I have uploaded my technical log from the Smart Hub.

EE_Router1.png

The answers to my Qs will help diagnose your issue.

No need now to do step 2. I did note you had a wired connection & was merely asking you to do a speedtest over it. From your router stats there is no need for it now.

If you have a landline no. Step 3 might show me some history.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@CraigG70   they are all standard questions to understand what is happening to your line.

Chances are you have noise/a fault on the line, so another to add, is the line quiet, dial 17070 option 2?

CraigG70
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I don't have a phone line, I didn't take the phone option, I only have fibre.

Secondly, look at the max data rate on my image, it shows you 77Mb - and that should give you the reply for the exchange data rate - it's a fibre plus exchange capable of 80Mb. This exchange is only a year old, the old one had a fire last year, and Openreach rebuilt the exchange, new exchange, new wiring, new overhead cables, new poles - When it was finished, I was getting a solid 78Mb, people at the top of my road, 50 yards away, are getting 76Mb, my next-door neighbour is getting 67Mb, the bloke across my road, 10 yards away, is getting 70Mb. The exchange is only around 70 yards away from me, so it's not like I am miles away from it.

Again I ask, if anyone knows the answer, is it possible to contact EE for a profile reset ?

I know this can be done at their end, BT did this for me a couple of years ago, and it gave me back my max speeds - this was before our exchange was upgraded to fibre plus.

Heck, we even have 900Mb Fibre to the Home, with a couple of nodes right outside my gate, but the monthly costs are out of my price range, for now.

@CraigG70   the simple answer is yes EE can reset your line. But if you have a fault somewhere your speeds will just drop again. A phone would have helped work out if it was noise, but a dodgy joint getting wet in the rain, or moving in the wind is a bit more intermittent. Your stats also show the line has been down recently - was that you or the fault.

Ways to contact the Broadband Care Team can be found on the Help pages:

https://ee.co.uk/contact-ee/technical-support/broadband-landline 

HTH. 

CraigG70
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yeah, it was down because I tried the test socket - this was my first port of call, as I know the test socket can filter out noise from a landline, even though I don't have one, it was just a thought.

One thing that has had me thinking is that, our village's electricity is very unreliable, and has been since the exchange had a fire - this was caused by an electrical issue. We have both underground electric wiring, and overhead wiring, and this was going to be replaced, and the whole village put on one wiring - the underground wiring. But, lately, we have been getting cut-outs, frequent cut-outs, often in the middle of the night, so I wake up with the microwave clock flashing away at 0:00.

I am wondering if these frequent cut-outs are causing the router, and line speed to adjust - thinking the line is unstable, when it's the electricity that is unstable. But, everyone in my area are on the same electricity, and wiring, so why haven't they had line drops ?

Again, thanks for any help, and suggestions. Perhaps I need to wait to see IF the line speed picks up again - assuming my electricity doesn't cut off again, and if the line speed stays around 46-49Mb then contact EE.

The exchange doesn't really come into your BB & its speeds. You are getting your Fibre (FTTC) from your local cab.

The DLM system has put you on a banded profile in response to past errors on your line, at the top of the up to 49 Meg band of these VDSL Banded Profiles. You need to give the DLM time to relent & remove any banding. If your sync speed at the test socket remains stuck at the same speed for 10 days you should ask EE to investigate the underlying fault. If a fault is found and fixed then the OR engineer may request a DLM reset. However should significant errors persist the DLM will reapply banding.