cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Longer Able To Use VOIP Software On EE

RwanNawr
Investigator
Investigator

Since last Friday (1st October), I have been unable to use my company's VOIP software - Genesys Workspace - to take/make calls at home using my EE broadband. It has worked exceptionally (on the 5Ghz channel) for almost 2 years.

Now, the software essentially locks up once a call comes in, and the caller hears me on a delay, and at very poor quality. As such, I am having to travel into the office to use it, which is proving difficult, currently.

Here's how I know it's an issue with a switch on EE's side, and why I would like some technical help:

- I have swapped laptop.

- I have swapped VPN login methods.

- The app functions normally when logged in through VPN from a Vodafone hotspot (this is not a sustainable workaround).

- The app functions normally when in the office.

- The problem remains REGARDLESS of whether I am connected via my home WIFI (both channels), ethernet AND my EE hotspot.

- My router has been replaced.

- An EE-requested engineer has been to my house and seen it first hand and agreed it's an EE issue.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't mind calling 150 but I the last conversation wasn't particularly productive as they did not have the technical knowledge required.

10 REPLIES 10
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@RwanNawr wrote:

- My router has been replaced.

Like with like?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

No, the bright box 2 was swapped out for a smart hub. Same exact issue so not router related.

Have you Enabled/Disabled SIP ALG? Sorry, can't remember which way round it needs to be. So toggle it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I will try this when I get back home, however the issue also occurs when connected to my EE hotspot, so at this point I am doubting it is router settings.

SIP ALG was switched off, which I believe is correct for VOIP setups. I toggled it "On", tested a call, and the quality got worse.

RwanNawr
Investigator
Investigator

This has not been solved.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RwanNawr

I'm sorry to hear this is not resolved for you. 

If you get in touch with our Broadband Tech team, they will get this looked into further for you. 

Thanks. 

Leanne.

Basically EE aren't interested that VOIP phones do not work. I have a softphone and a deskphone on my own cloud hosted server. These both worked perfectly over EE 5gee (landline BB too poor here) up to about a fortnight ago, using a IP v4 only APN setting. When they stopped working I noticed that the IP address being issued from EE had changed to a totally different range (31.x.x.x) - the phones still rang but there was no speech path; however if i conected my desktop PC to my VPN the softphone worked pefectly, proving it was ports being blocked by EE. After a very long convesation with EE faults yesterday, with me explaining that i needed ports 6000-40000 UDP for my speech paths, they stated that they could no longer provide this. I explained that, in that case, it was not fit for purpose and that they should let me out of contract early, so i could move to o2 or similar where my VOIP phones will work. They agreed to end my contract early.  o2 here I come.

tidymeup
Visitor

I have been messing with this now for months and a similar issue, I just assumed it was my router as we don't use the EE 4g router to manage traffic. 

The phones connect and then drop connection repeatedly, and again like you I take my phones to another network provider and everything works perfectly

leaving me to think that this is an EE only problem.