cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ee wifi showing

Notroubleclubbr
Explorer

I have recently changed from BT halo and they have put me on the new ee smart hub.

however i am concerned that i could be losing bandwidth as it seems it also shows a ee wifi (open) and ee wifi x (closed) networks too that other people can log in to if they have ee login details.

i did not agree to share my broadband with anyone else so would like to stop these other networks appearing.

i have looked through the settings and advanced settings and app but cannot see a way of stopping these sharing networks.

the only way i can think of doing this is to stop all wifi on the ee smarthub  and use it as a modem and buy another router. That seems a bit of a con.

any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
campbela
Investigator
Investigator

My broadband hasnt been migrated from BT to EE yet but I seem to recall that, with BT, you had to opt-out on the BT web site somewhere to turn your connection sharing off.

The idea was that if you opt'ed out, it would be deactivated on your hub remotely and meant that you then couldnt make use of other people shared connection.

In reality, the shared portion of your connection is very bandwidth limited so is not likely to impact you. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

If you are talking about the new EE Smart Hub Plus it does not broadcast any EE WiFi SSIDs. You must be seeing your neighbours'.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Definitely not my neighbours as only appeared when i swapped over to the ee smarthub and disappears when i turn off that hub.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Notroubleclubbr - what model router do you have (it will say on the label affixed to the base of the unit)? I'm guessing it's not a Smart Hub Plus, as like @XRaySpeX, I was under impression that the latest hub does not broadcast a publicly accessible SSID.

Regardless, I bvery much doubt it will have any visible impact on your performance, and the two networks should be segregated sufficiently to avoid causing you any security concern.

Not sure if you can disable the feature or not. Was definitely an option with the BT equivilent at some point. 

Just checked my local WIFI networks and I dont have public EE SSID's

My EE hub is the Smart Hub plus

Neil_F
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Maybe that explains why I can't connect my laptop. The router isn't showing up in the list. Spent hours trying to  connect it but no luck!

huggons
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Odd. My EE Smart Hub Plus does not broadcast any EE WiFi SSIDs. 

It does broadcast hidden SSID on 2.4 and 5 GHz, which I would like to turn off, but EE do not give customers the option to do so.

John-C
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Notroubleclubbr, did you get a chance to check the label on the base so confirm what type of hub you had as suggested by @bobpullen?

Cheers

John