cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Recent experience with EE Recycle / Brightstar... (and it's NOT good!!)

Brndnwht
Investigator
Investigator

Hi guys, it would be great to get your thoughts/opinions and any similar experiences on the below...

So, I recently upgraded my XS Max to a 12 Pro - amazing phone, very pleased with it! Then I decided to (separately!) sell my XS Max back to EE and got a quote for £311. I ordered the delivery package and it turned up a while later.

Now I make sure to keep my phone in the best condition I can condition, I've never cracked a screen and always keep it in a case, expensive phones should be looked after right!? The evening before I sent the phone off, I took a couple of photos just in case I needed to prove the condition of the phone later on! Wait for it...

Royal Mail tracking confirmed my phone was delivered a couple of days later but I didn't hear from them for a week, chased a couple of times but due to hold times over an hour I gave up and waiting for an email.

Then the email came through... Quote reduced to £187 due to damaged casing, camera not functioning, scratched case, etc etc etc... And a photo attached showing the damage! I was furious. This phone was in mint condition when it left my hands, and the damage caused looks very suspect...

Is it just me, or does this sort of damage seem possible when the phone is inside bubble-wrapped packaging?? The scuff to the metal corners, smashed glass on the camera...? Thoughts??

Needless to say I am not accepting £187, I am trying to claim through Royal Mail insurance (luckily sent special delivery) but that's taking up to 30 days and Brightstar are trying to force me to either take the money or get the phone back - absolutely shambolic way to deal with customers, reflects so badly on EE and each time I speak to somebody via 150 I get told they have no control over it. Now I'm a business owner myself and would not let my brand be represented by any other company I don't have control over!! Shocking. 

I WILL be getting my money for this phone, whether dealing with them directly or taking it further.

I have attached photos below for you all to give your own opinions? 

Thanks.

Taken the evening before postingTaken the evening before postingWhat they say they received 1/3What they say they received 1/32/32/33/33/3

11 REPLIES 11
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Brndnwht   Do you have the device IMEI number ?  If you do ask brightstar to take a photo of the IMEI number from the setting>about as you need to first make sure that that was the device you sent them.  I find it very unlikely that the device was damaged in transit if you use bubble wrap.   Especially the camera. 

wardi
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Brndnwht..  this is actually pretty straightforward.  You have sent an item in good condition via Royal Mail special delivery and on the face of it they have damaged it in transit.  Your claim is with them, I used to work with the post/couriers, don't under estimate their ability to damage anything no matter how it is packed.  Best of luck getting your claim settled, I usually found the PO to be pretty reasonable. 

Thanks Chris, I didn’t think of doing this. If I ever manage to get through to them again I will definitely be asking. 

Ah Wardi - That’s something I didn’t mention, I’ve started a claim with the Post Office, however it could take up to 30 days and Brightstar are trying to push me into either accepting £187 or returning the phone. Saying I have 7 days before it expires, and if I take the payment then the phone is their property and I can’t claim on insurance.

Ridiculous.

It is always wise to take photos and a video of you packing up the device you are sending off to sell to these companies.

Making sure in the video you get the box and the address its going to so they can't say it was another phone to someone else.

I know it's too late for that now with you but just putting it out there for others.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Hi @Brndnwht 

You could be lying of course, trying to obtain a better offer. Unless you have dated photos proving your case it's one word against the other, although i'm sure the recycler had encountered this situation before (unfortunately).

As @BrendonH said. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Could be lying, but I’m not and I’ve sent the dated photos to them via email...

3rd November, posted 4th November as per the receipt which I’ve also sent pictures of! 

34E8BF9B-242E-4759-BF7A-EF2AB6E9E210.jpeg

@Brndnwht   You’ll need to inform brightstar that you are taking this up with the PO as the device is wasn’t damaged when you sent it.  They can not force you to accept the offer because of the damage in transit and you are taking this up with the PO.  If you are covered via insurance and a claim is being made that’s now a legal matter and brightstar have no choice but to wait.  

Becca966
Explorer

I sent a phone back 0n the 16th of April they received it on the 19th when the package was delivered they are saying it was empty yet I have the proof of delivery total scam