cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This page is no longer active

close

For up-to-date information and comments, search the EE Community or start a new topic.

Move to SIM only (maybe with Pixel 6 purchase outright)

DrB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello everyone -- with Black Friday coming up, I'm thinking of asking for my PAC code to facilitate an easy jump elsewhere if needed.  I'm thinking of:

- purchasing Pixel 6 outright
- moving to a SIM-only deal

As I am eligible for an academic discount (20%?), can I:

- purchase a new SIM only plan

- move my existing number to this

I assume I need to do this in order to get the academic discount (i.e. a new contract).

I normally buy a phone/SIM bundle on Black Friday but keeping my options this year.

Hope the above is clear but happy to clarify if needed - thanks in advance for your thoughts!

12 REPLIES 12
Lustral
Contributor
Contributor

Im about to send my Pixel 6 back ... (not to EE) and going back to my iPhone 13 Pro when they can sort me out an eSIM. 

The Pixel 6 is a nice phone however let down massively by the finger print scanner which doesnt function if you wish to use a tempered glass screen protector. If you usually go protection less then you will be ok.

I rejoined EE recently on a SIM only deal with 20% EE Perks as my company joined. So far its been ok apart from my on going eSIM fiasco. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

EE won't port nos between contracts. So you need to 1st port your existing no to another network's PAYG using a PAC from EE & then in reverse port it back to your new contract. This will also have the effect of cancelling your old contract.

You could alternatively "upgrade" your old contract to PAYG with 30 days notice & then ask EE to transfer the no to your new contract.

Why don't you just upgrade your existing contract to SIM-Only & buy the Pixel 6 outright from wherever?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
DrB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  In response to:

> "Why don't you just upgrade your existing contract to SIM-Only"

It's because I would lose the benefit of the 20% academic discount.

Why would you keep it if you take out a new contract but not if you upgrade?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
DrB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

"Why would you keep it if you take out a new contract but not if you upgrade?"

Sorry, I don't understand this.  Someone else may be paying for my SIM - and I wish to keep my existing number.  Hence my enquiry about porting the number over.  

Why would you keep the 20% academic discount if you take out a new contract but not if you upgrade?

DrB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I don't have the discount as yet. Moving over to it. 

I can't help but feel that we're now off track. I've since searched the forum in more detail and see that you tried to answer much the same question before. There is a way it can be done by porting to another provider and then back again... Some users have had it ported directly it seems. 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @DrB,

Is it the EE Perk or EE student discount you'll be using? Both can be applied when upgrading as well as taking out a new contract.

James

DrB
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your reply - it would be the "EE student discount". 

There is a complication in that someone else will be buying my new contract - think this will be a different SIM card.  I assumed - naively it would seem! - that porting would be straightforward within EE.  Is this not the case?