Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMessage on Apple Watch

Sjss13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

i have just purchased an cellular Apple Watch 8 series with EE and paired this with my existing iPhone.  I do a lot of walking and don’t want to take my bulky phone.  Can anyone advise if you can send iMessages with your Apple Watch as when I sent a message today it was green, which as you know is a text message.

thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fatboy71
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

It's a while back since I had the cellular plan active on my Apple Watch, but I was able to send iMessages with it while away from my iPhone. 

Maybe a silly question, but the contact you messaged (that was green) are you normally able to send them iMessages or have they recently moved to a none Apple device?

And also, has the contact in question decided to switch off their iMessage setting?

Maybe worth a try on your iPhone, go into Settings, and then turn the iMessage switch off, turn your iPhone off and back on and then turn the iMessage switch back on. Your Apple Watch should mirror these settings, so it should be able to detect that you have done this. After that, switch off you iPhone and make sure your Apple Watch is NOT connected to WIFI (switch WIFI off in the Apple Watch's Control Centre). Your Apple Watch should then be connected to cellular, and see if you are then able to send an iMessage. 

If that doesn't work, try signing out and back into your Apple ID on your iPhone. To do this go into Settings, and then touch the very top part where your name is shown. At the very bottom of the next screen you should see sign out. Switch your iPhone off and then back on, and sign back in and see if this sorts the issue out. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Fatboy71
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

It's a while back since I had the cellular plan active on my Apple Watch, but I was able to send iMessages with it while away from my iPhone. 

Maybe a silly question, but the contact you messaged (that was green) are you normally able to send them iMessages or have they recently moved to a none Apple device?

And also, has the contact in question decided to switch off their iMessage setting?

Maybe worth a try on your iPhone, go into Settings, and then turn the iMessage switch off, turn your iPhone off and back on and then turn the iMessage switch back on. Your Apple Watch should mirror these settings, so it should be able to detect that you have done this. After that, switch off you iPhone and make sure your Apple Watch is NOT connected to WIFI (switch WIFI off in the Apple Watch's Control Centre). Your Apple Watch should then be connected to cellular, and see if you are then able to send an iMessage. 

If that doesn't work, try signing out and back into your Apple ID on your iPhone. To do this go into Settings, and then touch the very top part where your name is shown. At the very bottom of the next screen you should see sign out. Switch your iPhone off and then back on, and sign back in and see if this sorts the issue out. 

Sjss13
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I will try and and yes I the person I texted does receive iMessages etc.

Hi there - just to let you know that it worked as above.  Thank you so much really appreciated 

@Sjss13 wrote:

Hi there - just to let you know that it worked as above.  Thank you so much really appreciated 

Or that's brilliant. You are very welcome, glad to help 🙂