cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Apple Watch no sim :(

Danbhardy
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, I was gifted an Apple Watch 6 from my mum with one of the unpaired family member tariffs. 

ive paired it to my iPhone (deliberately didn’t use the back up of my old watch as that had mobile data too) but it’s showing as no sim under mobile data. 

any ideas?

7 REPLIES 7
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Danbhardy   You need to set the tariff up via the watch app. 

It won’t do it, my iPhone is on BT Mobile 😞

I thought this sim was supposed to be stand alone as it doesn’t share useable and has its own separate number?

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

You can still pair it with your phone, just not use the cellular functions as you need to have an EE pay monthly contract for that.

I don’t see how has it’s supposed to be a standalone tariff that doesn’t even require a phone!

its the family member plan!

r3id
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If its an unpaired plan, then you will need to set up the watch under family plan, rather than for myself. This should let you set it up using the tariff you mentioned in your original post.

This post may help - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211768

C0NN0RAD0
Contributor
Contributor

This sound a bit confusing, i think the issue is your not on EE on your phone itself therefore the watch cant share the number (receive and make calls and texts etc) so i think the only way you can activate it is if your carrier supports apple watch cellular plans or your on EE. 

To set the watch up you need an iPhone on EE. That’s even to use the family plan.  The watch Will be a standalone tariff on its own but it cannot be sorted until paired and setup with a EE iPhone.  You can not do this with a different network device.  Once setup you don’t need a EE iPhone but whoever is iPhone you do use that’s on EE will actually be the account controller of your watch.  I.e. they can control who you can and cannot call and they can be able to track your location.  

The family plan watch is basically for other members of the same household where one member of the household has a contract on EE with an iPhone.