cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty True Depth Camera

WS1995
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

So in July 2021 I acquired the 2021 M1 iPad Pro 12.9 inch 5th generation with both WiFi and 5G, this was the 1TB model for which I was paying nearly £90 a month through EE.

I had ordered the 11 inch 512GB iPad Pro  as it was in stock whereas the 12.9 inch wasn't, but couldn't get on with the smaller 11 inch so returned it and placed an order for the larger 12.9 inch, this arrived after 7 and a half weeks. Interestingly I didn't receive any EE order confirmation email, the only one I can see is for the 11 inch iPad which I returned after just 2 days. I ordered the 12.9 inch over the phone and don't recall being offered any insurance for it either, I wasn't able to order it through the website as the 11 inch was still showing on my account. 

The device worked fine and in June of 2022 I acquired a MacBook Pro (bought outright and not on any pay monthly deal), as such I rarely used the iPad, and when I did it was perhaps only for an hour or so, in total in the last 9 months it's probably had no more than 15 hours usage.  About 5-6 days ago I went to use the iPad and noticed a notification stating that Face ID had been disabled, unsure as to why I looked into the settings option to find that it stated there was a fault with the Face ID camera. I tried resetting Face ID and this failed, I then restored the iPad to factory settings and tried to set up Face ID again, still not working. 

I subsequently took the device to my local Apple Authorised Service Provider and they have today advised me that the True Depth camera which also functions as Face ID is faulty, along with the chip on the logic board, unfortunately there is no fix available for this and it is not possible to repair OR replace this part as it is a "sealed unit" and the only option is to buy an entire new device, as mine was the 1TB model with WiFi and 5G they quoted me £1,080. Of course I'm not interested in spending another 1k on a device I don't use a lot, so won't go ahead with that.

I however do still feel somewhat aggrieved by the fact that the device is less than 2 years old (1 year 7 months) to be precise, and I am still paying for it monthly until July 2023 on EE contract, costing me nearly £90 a month still. So there's still £450 to be paid near enough on the device. Usually I take insurance out on my devices, and all of the other EE devices I have either have EE's insurance or AppleCare. I don't recall the insurance being offered and haven't received any documentation for any insurance policy so it appears perhaps it wasn't taken out.

I'm wondering if anyone, ideally from EE itself can advise whether this is something that EE would consider replacing under UK consumer law. Ordinarily I'd go through Apple but I didn't buy it through Apple, and I bought it through EE.

Yes, the device does still work, however it now has a major fault which means the front camera, Face ID and True Depth now no longer work, shedding hundreds off the value, especially as it's not possible to repair this fault. Having a look on a lot of sites the most I'm being offered for the device is £86 in "Faulty" condition.

Ordinarily I wouldn't complain, I just feel that in such a limited amount of time since acquiring it, and the fact that I'm still paying on the contract for it, and have been a loyal EE customer since 2020 (I also have 5 pay monthly lines with EE and the bill each month is several hundred pounds), there'd be some consideration shown and assistance offered.

I had a similar issue with a MacBook Pro in 2018 which the TouchBar failed on on the 13th month, 1 month after the warranty expired. I took it to the same support group and they submitted an Apple Consumer Rights claim under UK law on my behalf and apple authorised the repair work, which otherwise would have cost just under £600.

Any advice is appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi and welcome to the community, @WS1995.

I'm sorry to hear that you have this problem with the device. Are you able to use it without Face ID, using the PIN system instead?

It sounds like the device is out of warranty, since the manufacturer weren't able to repair or replace it. I can only suggest calling and speaking to our customer service team to explain the situation and run through your options.

Chris

WS1995
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Yes - I can use it without Face ID, with the pin code.

The point being this - the front camera now does not work

Face ID does not work

True Depth now does not work

As a result of this, instead of the device being worth in the region of £700+ (Music Magpie valuation) it is now worth £86. The previous time I used the device, no more than 4-6 weeks ago it was working fine. Out of the blue I go to use it several days ago and 'mysteriously' a camera unit has failed and the chip on the logic board has also failed, despite not being used in between when it was "working" and "not working".

The device is 17 months old. My parents have an iPad with Face ID which is a whole year (if not 18 months) older than mine, that is still working fine. They use theirs considerably more than I use mine. My iPad has been used for no more than about 15 hours in the last 9 months. A repair or replacement is impossible as confirmed by an Apple authorised service provider who I have been using for 5 years now, and have done work for my previous apple devices and I fully trust.

The devices warranty expired 5 months ago. I am still paying nearly £90 a month for a now "faulty" (albeit not entirely faulty) device. I do not recall being offered any insurance on this, as due to EE's 'marvellous' website not working properly and the old device still showing in my account I wasn't able to order it online, and had to call to order. 

Apple and EE offering a 12 month warranty on a device that costs £1,400 when it was new is frankly absurd and arguably a total con, especially given that EE's minimum contract is 2 YEARS. As such if the device fails after month 12 but within the 2 years, you're still expected to pay your monthly premiums on time and in full for a device that is no longer working. Does that sound morally right or fair?

I have been told as it cannot be repaired or replaced, a whole new iPad would need to be ordered, at a cost of £1,080. Now forgive me for asking, but why should I be expected to pay this again AND still continue to pay for my existing contract?

I had an issue 5 years ago with a Macbook pro failing on me, on month 13 of ownership, literally 1 month out of warranty, I was told the replacement part was nearly £600 including labour and VAT. Given that was 50% of the original device cost I asked the service provider to submit a Apple consumer law claim on my behalf, and Apple agreed to repair the item.

I enquired about this again today when I collected said now faulty iPad, and was advised that I'd have to go through EE as that's who it was purchased from. I'd like to hope that given how much I spend with EE on a monthly basis with my bills totalling in excess of £350 each month, that EE would be keen to keep a customer like myself. 

If this isn't the case and EE aren't prepared to help, then my business will go elsewhere in the very near future, there's clearly no loyalty anymore, and profit is king, even if that means royally shafting and p*ssing your customers off, many of whom have been with you since you became EE. 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for explaining some more, @WS1995

I would suggest calling and speaking to our Mobile Care team to check the notes on your account from when you took the contract out regarding the insurance.

If you would like to raise a complaint, they will be able to open a case for you too.

Chris