Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 6 Pro 5G switch

nicesub
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

So got my Pixel 6 Pro from EE and I wanted to switch off 5G as I think it is still young tech and it drains battery for nothing.

However, I cannot find that option on my phone. Is it that someone at EE had a very stupid idea to restrict users switching between 5g and 4G?

19 REPLIES 19

Thank you for this hidden menu, I did make a change and I hope now that it sticks and that 5G radio is off now.

The fact that their 5G uses 4G as a support and it eats battery even more but still enforcing 5G is crazy. I hope we get update to carrier settings and this gets rectified so people can make their own choice in terms of network selection.

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@mikeliuk  It doesn't matter even if you buy direct from Google. It will still download the EE operator settings when it sees an EE SIM and limit options available.

Hi, I tried the hidden menu but I don't have the option you suggest. The closest to your suggestion for me would be LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA 

Would that work?

A quick google search:

NR = 5G

LTE = 4G

WCDMA = 3G

GSM = 2G

TDSCDMA = Chinese network

I've selected LTE/WCDMA and it seems to be working ok so far...

That's the one I'm using and it's absolutely fine. There's no TD-SCDMA network in the UK and it was barely used in China - one network used it then it got phased out a while ago. Your phone will ignore it and connect to the others. I decided to go with this one so I can keep GSM, in the event I'm stuck in spotty areas I might still get some signal.

My Pixel 6 Pro was dropping connection randomly in buildings and I'm convinced it's the immature 5G (plus maybe band switch software getting confused) causing problems.

Me too, now work its fine..Thanks...

thamid89
Visitor

Hi,

Very interesting thread. The workaround has worked a charm for me especially since the January 05 update. I've been getting "Network Congestion errors" and prevented from making calls. Since I've toggled off the 5G I've not had any problems (yet!). Have you received any update on the situation. I've spoken with both Google and EE technical support and they're both laying the finger at each other! Very frustrating!

Hi I've tried this and I don't have this as an option. Is there another option to go for? Thank you in advance 

I was having the same issue. 5g just keeps dropping when I'm inside. Made it a nightmare. Turned off the 5g and no issues with connection. Garbage 5g role out and worse that they've removed the option from the UI and we have to go into these special settings.

Not sure if im imagining things but if you switch to battery saver mode, it seems to swap 5g for 4g