Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moto E20 no dialtone to landlines post update

IanStedman
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I've been trying to fix my Mum's phone, a Moto E20 which uses the EE network on a Pay monthly contract. It can makes calls to other mobile phones with no issue. When dialling a landline, there is no dialtone to indicate a call is underway. When calling any mobile phone, you do hear the dialtone.

Have done a hard reset of the phone, rebooted in safe mode, cleared the dialer app cache, re-checked the sound settings, tried headphones. Have enabled & disabled Wifi calling, have reset network connections.

I put the SIM card in another phone, the alternate phone made calls with no issues what so ever.

The phone was working fine until maybe 4-6 weeks ago. It has recently had an Android update installed (dated 5th June 2022). Currently Build number RONS31.267-38.5.  

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Do you really mean dial tone, I think you mean ring tone?

Have you checked the phone for any block call settings?

IanStedman
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I refer to it as a dial tone as it is when dialling a number. I called the house landline, the landline rang but the Moto E20 had nothing in the earpiece.

There are no call block settings to landline numbers I have tried, including the home landline.

Well dial tone is the sound you get when you pick up the handset on a land line. Ring tone is the bring bring sound you get when your call is ringing the handset you just called. 

Have you tried a factory set on the phone? If the sim works elsewhere it seems to be a phone problem.

How are the numbers stored with +44 or without, and is there a setting to switch adding it automatically, if so turn it off.

IanStedman
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I tried a factory reset last week, no luck. I also de-activated the automatic +44 prefix, this also made no difference.

I'd like to roll back the firmware update to confirm this, trying to find the correct ROM, from Lenovo could be tricky.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Do these calls ring on the recipient landline & connect?

IanStedman
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Yes the calls ring on the recipient landline and connect. The calls are fine, just can't be 100% sure when the phone at the other end has been answered, unless the recipient answers first.

Ian

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @IanStedman,

Have you spoken to our technical support team to see if they can help?

James

Hi, 

I spoke to the technical support team on Friday. Tried all the things they suggested, which involved various network & SIM card checks but to no avail. As the phone was bought as a SIM free option it is not supported by EE 😞

Looks like the 5th June firmware update from Lenovo/Moto broke the phone, unless there is an update, no way to fix it, not happy. 

Have you tried the Lenovo/Moto Help forum or support Groups? They are likely to know more about any detailed fixes that might be available.