cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEWARE - EE have damaged my phone and are now trying to make me pay!

JennaS7
Investigator
Investigator

I've had my phone (Google Pixel) just under a year and it was in mint condition. I started having an issue whereby my phone would crash, even when I wasn't using it and got stuck in a reboot loop. Eventually, it was so bad it wouldn't stay on for a second without crashing and was totally unusable.

A quick search on the google forum told me this was a common issue!

As my phone is still under warranty, I took it to a store. The process felt too easy - that should've been my first warning sign.

The Assistant Manager struggled to take the case off, even mentioning how robust the case was and then examined all the sides, corners, and glass for any damage. She recorded on the repair receipt that it was in great condition and there were no marking or dents and agreed it was likely a software fault.

She filled out some paperwork and explained that it would be sent off and repaired. I thought, great! Again, too easy.

I followed my phone on the tracking and it took 7 days to arrive at the repair centre.

It then took a further 3 days to go to an engineer.

Today I received an email quoting me £230 as apparently my warranty is void as there is a noticeable crack in the corner casing. I have always had a case on my phone and it has never been dropped - how would it crack underneath a thick case when it hasn't been dropped?!

Somewhere between me handing the phone over, it being packed, going through transit, being handled by whoever accepted it and handed over to an engineer it has been cracked and now EE are trying to pass the blame.

After a million different calls and being passed between various departments, I was told the only way to avoid paying, is to prove that the crack wasn't there. At the time I wasn't sure where the crack was so I shared a video with them that my partner took when my phone was stuck in the reboot loop but naturally not sufficient evidence as I have a case on where the crack now is. At no point in the process was I told to take photos of my device - I also didn't think to as it was in mint condition. The Assistant Manager at the branch who examined and confirmed there were no dents/markings didn't take any photos or ask me if I wanted to. I also sent them on the repair receipt, which they already have which says there are no markings or dents.

A quick search of the EE community shows that this seems to be a recurring issue and I think it's a tactic to get away with having to fix faulty phones so proceed with caution. I have asked if there is an independent agency I can complain to investigate EE's practices as I think this is ridiculous.

I have insurance separately from EE so the easiest thing would be to cut my losses and go down the insurance route but I refuse to pay an excess fee when the fault is with the model and lies with EE/Google. 

Please please please if you read this, take photos of your device before you send it off.

39 REPLIES 39
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@JennaS7   Why haven’t you been back to the store and spoken with that same person about this.   They can back you up. 

For a few reasons:

• My closest branch closed a couple of months ago. My nearest branch is now 12 miles away, I work full time and their opening hours mon-fri are 9-5pm. As soon as I can get there on saturday I will!
  • I was told by the Repair Centre that 'these things' are easily missed in store and to speak to customer services not the store.
  • I was told they needed a decision whether I wanted to accept the quote or not within 24 hours.

The repair centre have the paperwork that was created by the Assistant Manager in the branch that states there are no marking or dents - apparently a written document is not enough so even if I could easily get to a store, I'm not sure what that would achieve, other than being palmed back off to customer services.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @JennaS7,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

I've sent you a private message. Please check your inbox and get back to me when you have a moment.

Thanks

James

jamesalexj83
Investigator
Investigator

Just had exactly the same, however for nearly £800!!  Did your issue get sorted?

20 years with Orange / EE and this is how they treat customers.

James_B

Hi @jamesalexj83,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Our Customer Care Team will be happy to look into this issue if you get in touch.

Thanks

James

Hi James

Someone tried to put me through to them but while on hold the line went dead, and he couldn't get me through.

To be fair, he called me back, but was from a different department and I struggled to understand what he was saying.  I need this sorted quickly but this is becoming very difficult!

James_B

I've responded to your PM @jamesalexj83

James

Careystreeter
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

EE shop member of staff have managed my partners phone. He had a Samsung fold 3 and air bubbles were forming along the interior screen hinge, he asked the member of staff if he could look at it, he then proceeded to get a plastic card and squeeze it out all along the hinge. After we left the store and got home, the screen was bleeding down the hinge and right screen unresponsive. It's been 2 months I've been back and forth trying to sort this. Theyre saying we damaged it, and not taking blame for it. £512 we've been quoted. Disgusting customer service. No one helps and constantly passes you around. Be warned do not let anyone squeeze the air bubbles out of a fold phone. 

Leanne_T

Hi @Careystreeter

I've sent you a private message. Please check your inbox and get back to me when you can 🙂

Leanne.