Apple announce the ‘Best of 2012’

Charlotte
Former EE Community Manager

Hey guys,

For those of you who haven’t seen it yet, Apple have released their annual ‘Best of ’ highlighting their top apps of 2012.  Here’s a snippet of the results…

Claiming the title of ‘App of the year’ for the iPhone, is private rental community Airbnb - an app that I am a big fan of. I have spent many an hour wishfully looking at airstreams in California or Treehouses in Italy. Even if you’re not planning a trip any time soon, it’s worth checking out just to see what amazing rentals they have on offer – but be warned, you may be tempted to book one.

Hitting the top spot on the iPad is Paper, an app designed for you to draw, sketch, illustrate or jot down notes to your hearts content. It’s a neat looking app that has received rave reviews from those that are artistically gifted. If you are that way inclined or just curious, I’d recommend you have a play around with it. You never know, you might unleash a hidden talent.

In the game stakes, Rayman Jungle Run, took the title for Game of the Year for the iPhone, whilst The Room took the same accolade for the iPad – the winners covering both the adrenaline junkie and those that enjoy a good puzzle.

And as for the bestsellers, social networking site WhatsApp and word processing app, Pages, have been named as the top paid sellers, whilst YouTube and Skype came out trumps as the best freebies.

The review also showcases trends that have shaped 2012, such as ‘disruptive services’, ‘photo and video magic’ and ‘discover with friends’, which is interesting insight into how we’ve used our phones this year.

If you want to check out the full list and maybe get some inspiration for new apps in the process, open this link in iTunes or on a iOS device.

So, here’s those winners again…

iPhone

iPad

App of the Year

Air b’n’b

Paper

Game of the Year

Rayman Jungle Run

The Room

Top Seller – Paid

WhatsApp

Pages

Top Seller – Free

YouTube

What do you think of the choices? Would you rank them in your top 3? And if not, what would you put in their place? Let the Community know by adding your comments below.

And don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about Android users. There’s a review of Android apps of the year right here.

Cheers,

Charlotte.