cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowell debt collection

fee8144
Visitor

Hi

ive received a letter in the post and a phone call today advising me that Lowell have bought my EE debt of £73.69. I don’t have any debt. This must be a scam. Any advice appreciated. Tia Fiona 

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@fee8144  You need to call customer services and or you might want to make contact with lowell you can do that HERE you need to sort this ASAP even if it’s a mistake. 

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @fee8144 ,

I recommend you review the professional advice at the below link. Below I've extracted certain of the important points.

Contacting your creditors

If you need to check the details of a debt, you can phone your creditor. It’s important you don’t contact a creditor in writing if you think the debt might be statute barred. This includes sending a text or an email, or talking to them on online chat.

Writing to them could make it look like you’re agreeing you owe the money. This might reset the time limit - this means it will be another 6 years before the debt is statute barred.

If you’re not sure if your debt is statute barred, or you think your debt will soon be statute barred, contact your nearest Citizens Advice.

If you haven’t reached the time limit yet, making a payment to your creditor will always reset the time limit. Even if it’s just a small payment, or if someone else makes a payment on your behalf.

If you're sent court papers

If your creditor wants to start court action against you, you’ll get court papers in the post. It’s important you respond by the deadline written on the court papers.

If you get court papers for a debt you think is statute barred, you need to explain this when you fill out the papers. Get help from your nearest Citizens Advice.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/help-with-debt/dealing-with-your-debts/check-if-you...

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
mopopq
Visitor

Hey Fiona,

That sounds like a real headache. I had a similar scare a while back. First off, take a deep breath—these things can be sorted out. What you got might be a phishing attempt or just a mix-up.

Here's what I did: I called EE directly (using a number from their official website, not the letter or call) to confirm the situation. They confirmed I didn't owe anything. So, my advice: don't panic, contact EE, and verify. Don't give out any personal info to the caller. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Also, check your credit report just to be thorough. Mistakes happen, and it's good to catch them early. And hey, scams aside, take care of yourself. Dealing with this stuff can be stressful, but you got this. Let me know how it goes!