cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dead Sim overseas

gleeman
Investigator
Investigator

My SIM card has died. I'm currently working overseas and cannot get back to the UK for a while. I need to reactive my SIM or get a new one. 

I have the My EE App and have been trying to access Live Chat, but never get the "Start Conversation" button on the App on any device or any browser (tried FireFox, Safari, Chrome and Edge)

Calling the 150 UK number is a last option as it will be very expensive and take a long time

12 REPLIES 12
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@gleeman  are you on contract or pay-as-you-go ?  Live chat is for contract customers only. 

If you’re on pay-as-you-go when did you last use the Sim card to make a chargeable call or text to stop this from going into hibernation if that’s what it is.. 

obviously you can not call 150 you’ll need to call +44 7953 966 250 from a different device.  

Just to point out if it is a SIM card fault EE do not post replacement SIM cards abroad.  That sim will need to be activated in the UK first and a call made from it then someone could post it to you.   But this is the last step if it is a faulty sim and we don’t know that yet.  

The plan the SIM is on is a 3G Pay as You Consume plan.

Have made chargable calls in teh past few weeks

@gleeman  Have you tried restarting the device?    Have you tried giving the sim a clean with a damp cloth?  Make sure it’s dry before you put it back in the device.  

Hi @gleeman ,

I've never heard of cleaning a SIM with a damp cloth being best practice but would be happy to be proved wrong.

You can clean a SIM using just a microfibre cloth, or in extreme cases with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol, which will evaporate quickly.

I would guess your SIM had no problems before so it's not clear to me why cleaning your SIM would help.

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-SIM-Card

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

The SIM asks for a PIN whne inserted, but cannot connect to any network.

It sounds as if it has been deactivated by the service provider

@gleeman  The sim has a pin code on it if this is set at the default code it’s 1111

@mikeliuk   It’s called dirt and it can get in to a sim.   Using IPA is great but having it to hand is a different matter.       

And I wouldn’t suggested if it doesn’t work but then again I have been doing this for quite a long time now.  Somewhere over 20+ years.  In fact it’s closer to 30. 

if you don’t know anything about this and obviously not then why comment.  Post for the sake of a post.  

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't call 150 anyway as your phone's dead. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. over Skype. It should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi @gleeman ,

Assuming it is the SIM PIN it is asking for, this is typically one set by the customer. Have you set a SIM PIN in the past and have you been able to enter the successful value?

If you don't know the right SIM PIN, you can try to obtain a PUK as described below.

If you look at your SIM and hold it so that the light reflects obliquely off the surface, do you see any dirt or residue on your SIM? Assuming you've kept your SIM in your phone all this time, I judge it unlikely that dirt has somehow intercalated its way between the SIM and the contacts.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/activate-a-new-sim/what-is-a-sim-pin

What if I enter the wrong SIM PIN?

If you enter an incorrect SIM PIN three times in row, your SIM will be blocked. To unblock you SIM, you’ll need to key in your PUK code.

Please note that if you key in the wrong PUK code ten times in a row, your SIM will be blocked permanently and you will need to order a new SIM.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

@mikeliuk  You judge it unlikely but you have no idea at all.  You don’t know how or where the device has been and under what conditions.   Again jumping to a conclusion from your own assumption.    It can even be a bit of fluff that can cause this and just removing the sim can fix it.  The contacts on the sim are not fixed in a permanent position they are designed to flex.