cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes for EE customers roaming in the EU

James_B
EE Community Support Team

From March 2022, EE will charge a new, flat fee of £2 a day for customers wishing to roam across 47 European destinations, allowing them to use their plan’s full data, minutes and texts allowance. This will apply only to new and upgrading customers signing up to EE from the 7th July 2021 and will support investment into our UK based customer service and leading UK network.

EU roaming changes FAQ

What changes are you making to roaming costs?

From March 2022, EE will charge a new flat fee of £2 a day for customers who roam across 47 European destinations, allowing them to use their plan’s full data, minutes and texts allowance.

When will the changes take effect?

Details of this change will be contained within contracts for new and upgrading customers from July 7th 2021, but will only be applied from March next year.

Why have you zero-rated these charges until March?

With ongoing and understandable uncertainty around international travel, we don’t think now’s the right time to give travellers something more to think about. These charges will be part of the terms for new and upgrading customers, but we won’t apply them until March 2022.

I agreed to my current plan to get free roaming, how will the changes affect me?

You'll continue to get inclusive roaming in the EU. This change will be in contracts for new and upgrading customers from July 7th 2021, but will only be applied from March next year.

How does this affect the Roam Further five extra countries Smart Benefit? Does having this benefit now also give free EU roaming?

From March 2022, 47 European destinations will be included in our Roam Further Smart Benefit.

Does this change apply to PAYG too?

From early 2022 allowances will be for use within the UK only. If you have a PAYG pack you will be able to purchase an add-on which will allow you to access your Pack allowance for a £2 daily charge when roaming in our Europe Zone (zones 1, 1a, 2a & 2b).

If you have no Pack or bundle, or your allowance has run out, you will be charged the international rate for calls within our Europe Zone as set out in the Pay as you go price guide at the time.

Which countries will be affected?

The full list of countries affected by the EU roaming charges from March 2022 is: Austria, Azores, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus (excludes northern Cyprus), Czech Republic, Canary Islands, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madeira, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Reunion Islands, Romania, San Marino, Saint Martin (French), Saint Barthélemy, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Vatican City (Italy).

I am travelling to Republic of Ireland or live near the border. Will I have to pay £2 a day if I connect to the ROI network?

Customers using their phone in Republic of Ireland are unaffected and won't have to pay the £2 charge.

60 REPLIES 60
eTemplar
Contributor
Contributor

Will the roaming fair use policy continue to operate?

rfirmstone
Explorer

I want to be certain on the roaming terms for new contracts taken out before 7th July 2021

If I take a new contract before 7th July 2021 will free roaming be included for the 24 month contract duration?

This is quite important - otherwise I will switch to Vodafone!

Christopher_G

Hi @rfirmstone

This change will be in contracts for new and upgrading customers from July 7th 2021, but will only be applied from January next year.

Chris

@Christopher_G Unfortunately I don't understand your response. 

The question is

"If I take a new contract before 7th July 2021 will free roaming be included for the 24 month contract duration?"

Yes or No?

Appreciate your help 🙂

Christopher_G

Yes. The change will only affect new contracts taken on/after 7th July, @rfirmstone.

Chris

NemoUbique
Investigator
Investigator

James_B  - You stated

Does this change apply to PAYG too?

This change will be included in pay monthly contracts for new and upgrading customers.

What does this mean exactly.  I have a PAYG dongle; that I have used for years, generally via 90 day top-up.

Is my next top-up deemed to be under 1) existing customer, 2) new, or 3) other?

@NemoUbique  It’s pay monthly customers (contract) PAYG is not pay monthly. 

@Chris_B 

OK. 

What is the intended change for my type of user; PAYG non contract?

James_B

Hi @NemoUbique,

These changes are only for new and upgrading pay monthly customers.

Thanks

James