don't want to use any data in Egypt

ibaniloiv
Visitor

Hello,

I'm going to Egypt soon. I have already:

• arranged the world roaming with a very helpful guy at ee
  • turned off voicemail
  • turned off wifi calling

I do not want the phone to use any data over the phone system and plan on just using the hotel wifi so that I can use WhatsApp etc.

I want to have the option of being able to make a "normal" telephone call if needed.

Question is: on iphone 11, under settings > Mobile Data, do I have:

1. Mobile Data - on or off?
  2. Mobile Data Options > Data Roaming - on or off?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @ibaniloiv ,

Just keep mobile data off and periodically check it's off.

You may wish to set a reasonable spend cap too. Good luck!

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Are you on contract or PAYG? Did you use that SIM for making calls or texts in UK before you left to go abroad?

If you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150?

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Otherwise try logging into your MyEE account online & go to Menu > Account Settings > Control Content > Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium Rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If they are not ticked, can you activate these settings?

PAYG is auto enabled for roaming. You won't see any of those settings & don't need to change anything. If outside EU, do you have enough credit for making calls from abroad?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)