cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi calling Samsung Galaxy S5

ScratchyThroat
Investigator
Investigator

Suffering from poor network signals I've been attempting to use 'Wi-Fi calling' on a  'Samsung Galaxy S5'. The info on-line suggests that there's an option on this phone to make use of Wi-Fi calling facilities and since I'm on a 'Pay monthly' 'SIM only' contract it seems that the capability ought to be available!

Since the option to enable this feature does not appear on my phone what steps can I take, other than ditch the phone & service provider, please?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@ScratchyThroat  A compatible phone in your case will mean EE branded Android. EE can not make that device support EEs WiFi calling service unless it’s got EEs version of Android on it.   The device in question was only ever supported when it was supplied by EE. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hello @ScratchyThroat 

Was your phone purchased from EE directly, or a third party? If a third party, can you be specific about where? Although far less of an issue than it used to be with Andoid, third-party devices aren't always universal where network settings are concerned.

As a pay-monthly customer, you have access to WiFi-calling providing your SIM is being used in a compatible phone.

Most Android devices tend to be pretty standard - under the call settings menu, WiFi-calling should be available towards the bottom of the menu list somewhere.

Thanks.

Not an EE phone otherwise I'd simply be on their back about the issue.

EE list the product in their Wi-Fi calling set up guides so I'd conclude that it would support the feature should all things be as desired.

ScratchyThroat.. very similar set up with me.  I have a sim only Galaxy S7 which I bought refurbished from an online trader.   My WiFi calling symbol is there but has never worked, TBH I don't need it so it doesn't bother me.  I'm sure I read somewhere that the phone has to come from EE to qualify for WiFi calling, not absolutely certain though.

Many years ago, it was a virtually blanket rule that an Android phone had to be network-supplied in order to work with additional services such as VoLTE (4G-calling) and VoWiFi (WiFi-calling).

That has much improved in recent times, and in many cases independently sourced devices will work reliably with these facilities. I would expect reputable UK-based retailers to be selling UK-sourced devices (which should be fine), but this may not be the case for all online sellers.

However, that is not guaranteed - and EE can only support equipment that they have directly supplied.

@ScratchyThroat  The s5 has to come directly from EE to have WiFi calling available on it.   The Samsung s6 onwards are the devices that don’t have to come from EE directly to have WiFi calling on them. Your only option is to flash EE branded Android your your device to have this feature.  You do this at your own risk. 

@Chris_B is correct.

@ScratchyThroat  dial *#1234% and post the three sets of code. 

Thanks

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

😀Thanks

Not sure if porting a ROM would breach EE's copyright since I've not seen any ROMs available on EE's portal.

So it sounds like the phone is useless unless I can find a service provider with improved coverage.

AP: G900FXXS1CQD1

CP: G900FXXS1CQAV

CSC: G900FXXS1CPJ1

I saw this:

"Who can get WiFi Calling?

Anyone on an EE pay monthly plan with a compatible phone."

at 

"ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-use-wifi-ca...

This suggests that having a compatible phone and the pay monthly plan then the service ought to be available to me.

So I'm confused as it does not imply that one needs a phone from EE to use this service.