cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Txt for taking out BT Sport

Lottieuk75
Explorer

I've received a text from 150 thanking me for taking out BT Sport and then goes onto say i have been subscribed to The athletic for 12 months and that if it is not cancelled I will be charged £59.99 when it needs renewing.

I do not watch BT Sports so would never have signed up for it and as for the subscription? if this is legit why are EE signing me up for something that I will be eventually charged for without my consent both for BT Sports and this subscription.

C Lewis

24 REPLIES 24
Calhop
Explorer

I keep getting an SMS thanking me for signing up to BT Sport and giving me a 'free' subscription to an Athletics podcast (charged at £60 if I don't cancel it!) - the problem is that I haven't signed up for anything and don't want either BT Sport or the podcast. Has anyone had any success stopping this?

@Calhop : Sounds like a scam!

What is the exact wording of the msg? Does it have a link in it that it tells you to click? Don't go there but what was the link?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Zoeemay1
Visitor

I've also just received a very similar sounding message to what your discribing and I have a feeling its a scam.... Messaged received below:

Zoe, thanks for taking out the BT Sport app with EE.

And as a gift, here's your free 12-month subscription to The Athletic, giving you insider coverage and insights into everything football. Worth £59.99. Exclusively for BT Sport customers. Offer ends 24 Oct. Renews at £59.99 unless cancelled.

Follow the unique link to redeem your offer: http://discover.ee.co.uk/b5C0o6W6

T&Cs apply http://discover.ee.co.uk/L5C9y1Q9

Text STOP to 2040 to opt out from all text message marketing.

Chris284
Visitor

Why have I received a txt saying thanks for taking out the bt sports app

1lorr1e1
Investigator
Investigator

Yep I got this 5 mins ago what is this scam about. I've had calls since yesterday pretending to be from BT business calling me up relating to a company I used to work for years ago i think the two are connected! 

So talked to EE Support on chat and they confirmed I have no signed up for it but it is some offer they are doing for those people that have signed up for BT Sport.

Its either a poorly worded text implying you've signed up when it should say you can sign up or they've made a mistake and sent it out to everyone.

Clare

I’ve also had this message and panicked. I don’t use BT sport, so wouldn’t have signed up. I think it has been poorly worded and I was definitely concerned, it doesn’t suggest it is an offer to existing customers. 

They should send another through apologising to those that did not sign up. 

Also, has this text don’t click on anything it’s a scam

Being reported by business insider’s looks like EE have had data leak!