cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in France, phone picks Bougues even when their signal is bad.

nmh42
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

For some time our 2 phones have used the best signal at the place we stay at in France.

Now they are choosing Bouygues even though that is the worst (and at times no bars just the R) signal. Manually choosing another provider like SFR Orange or Free works for a short while then they go back to Bouygues.

Is this being controlled from EE and can it be changed?

7 REPLIES 7
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @nmh42

Thanks for coming to the community. 

This would be the device that is picking up the network, do you have automatic network selection turned on in your settings? 

You can find help in our EE Roaming - Help when abroad with your EE phone or device, post.

Thanks. 

Leanne.

nmh42
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Leanne

Thanks for your reply.

We have tried Auto and Manual selection, restarted the phones, swapped the SIMs, etc etc. It seems like Bouygues signal has priority (no matter what its signal state) over other networks which have full signal. The real question is whether this is as you say the devices, the networks here or whether EE can change this apparent bias via our SIMs?

@nmh42   EE can not force your device to use a different network.   Have your tried switching off 4G ?  

nmh42
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi thanks for that info. If that is the case it must be a change in the networks here I guess. (One phone is not 4G and the other does not use 4G as its an old SIM.)

I will keep trying manual and auto settings but for now I think its beyond our control, my only angle was whether EE could influence the network priority.

Thanks for your input (and to Leanne from earlier)

best regards Neil

When you're using auto network selection, there are numerous criteria that dictate which network or coverage layer your phone connects to. From time-to-time, certain foreign networks can have higher priorities in particular circumstances.

In your case I would recommend reporting this to EE via C/S on 150. If you're calling within the EU, using the international number is free as per this help page 

nmh42
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Many thanks for the advice and link. I thought there might be an easy answer without getting involved in an investigation as such but will bear it mind thanks.

best regards Neil

nmh42
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just tried a test.....placed phone where I know Orange and SFR signal are excellent and Bouygues is really weak. Manual search lists Bouygues first, Auto goes to Bouygues. There is surely some priority being imposed for (or by?) Bougues??