cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contacting EE from Abroad (UAE)

Rossan66
Investigator
Investigator

Can anyone help? I am traveling in Dubai and when I landed I received a text offering roaming as is normal with most providers BUT the instruction to activate it was to text TRAVEL to 150.... great, can't text without roaming activated. I have been through all the settings and the mobile EE app and no help at all. On the EE website under Contact Us including under the subheading to contact EE from abroad for help it only offers a phone number.... not much flippin' use if you're trying to contact them because you can't make phone calls!!!! No chat, no other options for technical support other than calling them. How on earth are you supposed to call them to ask them to troubleshoot or activate roaming so that you can make phone calls?! It defies belief that there is (apparently) no way to contact them other than calling, when the issue you're contacting them about is that calling does not work. Am I being totally blind / stupid here?!  H E L P ! ! !

14 REPLIES 14
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

As you are on contract, did you activate roaming on your EE a/c before you left UK by texting ROAMING to 150? Having a roaming add-on doesn't of itself activate roaming on your a/c.

Often just rebooting the phone is the simple remedy. Also try selecting a network manually rather than auto. Otherwise try logging into your MyEE account online & go to Menu > Account Settings > Parental and Data Controls > Roaming Abroad and also Call Abroad and Premium Rate. They will show as ticked if roaming and calling abroad is activated. If they are not ticked, can you activate these settings?

If you can't enable the Roaming Abroad and the Call Abroad & Premium Rate settings of your MyEE, you will need to call CS. Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. over Skype. It should be free.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks XRaySpex but no, neither rebooting nor calling the freephone number work. I did not activate before traveling as on all previous providers I've received an automated text upon arrival in my destination country offering options, just as I did from EE. The difference being that the EE option requires me to call them to activate it but I can't call until it's activate.... never had anything like this with any previous provider. It's just mind-numbing that they offer you roaming upon arrival at your destination, lay out the plan options and say 'text us' to activate it and yet you can't text until it's activated AND there's no other way to contact them, no chat, nothing. Absolutely mind blowing....   Oh and sorry, it's contract, small business plan, not PAYG

I suggested calling the Freephone number over Skype. Did you?

Did you check those settings in your MyEE? 

Where did I imply you were on PAYG? I knew you were not.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Yes, I did try calling the freephone number via Skype but having gone through all the menu options I eventually got a message saying sorry we're closed!

Yes, I did check the settings and it's weird because they show ticked for Roaming abroad but are greyed out and I can't do anything with them (and I am the account holder so it's not like someone else in the company has that authority and I don't)

Didn't say anything about you implying anything (?!?) I was simply answering the question about contract...

@Rossan66 ,you should be able to speak to customer service tomorrow, as they will be closed now, and they should be able to sort this out for you.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
RobertHe
Investigator
Investigator

I  am having a similar problem I have come to the UAE for a few months before I came out a paid off my existing contract and replaced it with a basic sim only package , this was confirmed by a txt from EE, subsequently they have continued to charge me the rate for my old package rather than the new one, and as I do not have roaming I cannot contact EE , this is very frustrating and I seem to just go in circles with it

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@RobertHe : Try calling CS on the Freephone no. in my sig. on Skype over WiFi. It should be free.

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Good morning @RobertHe

Welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear this. 

Please follow the advice and try contacting our customer care team over Skype. 

If you have no success be sure to come back and let us know. 

Katie

RobertHe
Investigator
Investigator

Is Skype not blocked in UAE?