cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE mast upgrade, any information?

swac3
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi the mast nearest to me 'bauds near cullen' has a planning application showing on the Moray Council to increase the height and relocate some equipment.  Is there anyone on here that knows anything more about the upgrades.

Hoping it might improve the 4g penetration and signal strength. Too far for 5g I think even if the mast was to get it, which it won't.

Gary

6 REPLIES 6
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@swac3 : We tend not to employ masts for Home BB. So I've moved it to where it belongs.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @swac3 

Without knowing the existing config on that site and the proposed config, it would be tricky to answer in any detail.

Do you have any specific info that will enable identification of the site/application in question?

EE are rolling out 5G service on 700Mhz which should perform similarly to 4G on 800Mhz, all else being identical.

swac3
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
This from the council planning
UPRN. 000133057439
Address Proposal
Bauds Of Cullen Buckie Moray
Erect a MBNL 30m high FLI slimline lattice tower on concrete base and associated works 
Applicant Name Agent Name
EE Ltd & Hutchinson 3G UK Ltd
WHP Telecoms Limited

Sent from my Huawei phone

I've identified that site, and as best I can tell, there's no change to the technologies being carried there - just an old monopole being removed and a higher tower replacing it, which should result in an improved coverage footprint.

That area seems to have coverage available on 4G1800 & 4G800 (bands 3 & 20) and 2G service.

swac3
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi Bristolian, cheers. All u could tell was the mast height as that was on the planning site.  We get 4g on band 3 with EE  I think we're too far for the higher freqs to reach anyway, but the height increase might make a difference. Enen if not speed then could eliminate some if the dead spots. To be honest up that valley from cullen to Keith is poor from all operators. 

I'll just keep a check on the planning application as there likely no other way for me to see when the new tower goes live 

Thanks

Gary

The low-band service on 800Mhz provides "extended range" service to any device/SIM combination that is VoLTE-compatible.

The approval of the planning application has no bearing on when the new site will be built, much less a go-live date. In the vast majority of cases, the quickest way to tell when a new site is live is by monitoring your phone's signal bars - and the coverage maps often follow a short-time later.