cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

slow download fast upload

jazydave
Investigator
Investigator

Hi all, could anyone give me some advice please?

I run my router off EE data only sim and my phone is also EE.

I am finding im getting mediocre download speeds and excellent upload speeds like 7mbps and 40mbps, which seems odd. Its a huawei 535 router (i have tried it with an external antenna, which doesnt help).

If i stand outside at back door of house, with my phone using its own ee sim card on its own data, im getting 23mbps(or more) download and 24mbps upload which is far more what I expected.

Any ideas?

Dave

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@jazydave   Can you get the router to outside and test the speed. There can be big changes between outside and inside because your home can have an impact on the speeds. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@jazydave   Can you get the router to outside and test the speed. There can be big changes between outside and inside because your home can have an impact on the speeds. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @jazydave 

It's possible that your phone & data-device are connecting to different network sites, there are ways to check this but let's check the basics first.

Putting the two devices side-by-side, what are the comparative speeds? That's a simple way of making sure you're comparing like with like as much as possible.

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @jazydave ,

If you search online for your model of router, you may be able to determine the MCC, MNC, LAC, and Cell ID to be absolutely sure you phone is connecting to the same cell tower. Certain of these are constant for EE and the UK but reading all of them is a good sanity check.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
jazydave
Investigator
Investigator

think I've some how stumbled across a solution to this!

I went bac into router settings and changed APN to Auto.

I now still have the higher speeds, but all devices and apps work!

Thanks for help and advice

I am having the opposite issue: download speeds very good 80Mbps, but upload speed crippled 0.3 Mbps. Router set to Auto, no other devices on the network. Any suggestions? For 6 months upload speed was 4-8 Mbps. 4GEE.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @bjim,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Does the Network Status Checker report any problems in your area?

James