cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MTU for mobile data

Phr33ky
Investigator
Investigator

Hi Ben, did you manage to fix this issue eventually? As I'm having the exact same issue now and can't figure out how to fix it. Thanks.

PXL_20220110_112943277.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Phr33ky
Investigator
Investigator

Any update to this at all? My MTU is showing as 996 on Xbox One connected to my EE 4G SIM via hotspot. Making me unable to use certain network features on the Xbox completely (chat, parties, etc). 

Hi @Phr33ky ,

I've previously treated that MTU 1500 is fine for EE's network. You'll need to ensure it's 1500 or higher on the route within your internal network and you should be safe to set it on your devices (assuming you don't need lower on your home broadband.

You can search online for ping tests to see packets at the maximum size are passed.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Phr33ky ,

I recommend finding online instructions to access your router management page to see if a low MTU has been set there and advised to devices by DHCP.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM

That would be great if I had 1500, but my Xbox is currently staying that it's 996. 

Impossible to play any online games, connect to any party chat etc. 

To be clear, this is is via a hotspot off my Google Pixel 3XL so no way to change or access any settings with regards to MTU or UPNP. 

I have no router management page as this is via a hotspot from my Google Pixel 3XL on a 4g SIM. 

Hi @Phr33ky ,

There's a very good chance the phone will have a correct MTU set of 1500 so the next thing to check in the documentation is to manually set the XBox MTU.

If that fails, you could try hotspotting from another phone or obtain a wired connection for testing.

-- 
Mikey-Mike
Contributor
Contributor

All absolute nonsense

I was using my phone hotpot to connect  via the Xbox for years, quite litteraly at least 5 years. That was with an iPhone 12, previous to that a Pixel 2 and I now have an iPhone 14, all unlimited data plans.

Everything was fine up until early Feb this year (2023) then it jsut stopped working/connecting. I've had the run around from EE today, on the phone for 58mins. One idiot even told me I could only use 100GB of data on my hotspot, asked him if that was so how come my laptop was currently connectd and I could stream to my Chromecast ealier but previous to that and since then my Xbox wouldn't connect - he was adamant that he was correct, even though  I was quoting chapter and verse from the EE website to him of what unlimited data meant!

Eventually I was speaking to their "tech guru" also an idiot in my opinion, who was comming up with nonsense that sometimes it would connect if I was lucky, I asked him if I had just been lucky nearly every day for the past 5 years (or more), and now I was unlucky all the time, he had no answer to this other than to say he would make a comment on my case.

The packet size is less than 1414, greater than 1404, from ping tests on the phone, so I know it's due to them restricting the packet size which should be 1500, the fact my friends phone and my work phone can connect my Xbox without any issues shows that it's EE who have done something, that it worked fine for +5years then just suddenly stopped working points directly to EE having changed something somewhere, or even perhaps everything everywhere!!!

I've had enough of the nonsense they've been spouting at me and will now invoke the nuclear option, I have the email addressess for the EE executives and if they give my any run around then it's straight to trading standards.

I won't let this lie and I certainly won't be given the run around by idiots on a phone when I know and can quote back chapter and verse their own terms and conditions from their website there and then.

Hi @@Mikey-Mike 

If you get any luck, I would be very grateful if you share, as I gave up a long time ago, getting absolutely no where, with people above literally telling me to use a wired connection from my phone! 🤦🏻

To be clear though, I've never been able to connect and run my Xbox through the hotspot since joining EE, so it seems you may have been lucky, or me unlucky. 

Did you manage to sort this?