cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5g is so slow its unusable but I cant turn it off

Renoir64
Investigator
Investigator

Where I live we were one of the earlier places to adopt 5g.

Over the last few months it's got slower and slower until it reality it's unusable. I really want to go back to 4g but I can't as my phone is pretty much stock android and the SIM configuration wont allow me to do this.

I now cant use data in the bottom half of my own garden. I've spoke with Motorola who make my handset and EE and they can suggest nothing. I went to Manchester at the weekend and 5g was great but moving there seems a little bit radical just to have data on my phone. I've tried the settings buried in the SIM but configuring from here is hard too. 

So a) is the slowing down of 5g happening to others

and b) any ideas to go back to 4g without the obvious getting another handset (it may come to this or another provider)

20 REPLIES 20

It does

It is, should I say.

Videx
Explorer

I am having the same issue. 5G has recently become my regular connection and it is much slower than my 4G that I have enjoyed for a few years.

if I cannot get back to 4G or at lease switch between 4G and 5G I will move to another provider

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Videx 

Is this happening in more than one area?

What device are you using? 

Leanne. 

Johnny56
Visitor

My partner and I have both got identical phones, Google P6s and my average speed using Speedtest at 5G download is 26 Mbps and 12 upload. My partner's was using 4G an hour ago and her a average Speedtest using the same test site 4G LTE Nottingham was 89.5 Mbps and 10 upload. That is faster on 4G of 63.5 Mbps!! She was offered an upgrade on her SIM card only to 5G and now her speeds are considerably lower almost identical to mine. How on earth can EE 5G be marketed as a faster alternative to 4G when it is clearly isn't. A breech of contract IMHO. Something's broken and it's not our phones.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Johnny56 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Are you able to try the SIM card in another phone to see if the same happens? 

Is this happening in all areas? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

BrodmysteR
Visitor

I had this issue recently and have a pixel 7 pro.

I found a way to turn 5g off completely. It can easily be turned back on if you wanted.

Dial *#*#4636#*#*

Press phone information

Press Set preferred network type.

NR = 5g LTE=4g

Pick one without NR in it and you'll be on 4g again.

elixier22
Explorer

Go into the play store and look for "4g only" you can select any network you want only 2G 3G 4G 5G only or the selection that you want

elixier22
Explorer

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alpha.lte4g

Go and download this app and select LTE only that will only allow your phone to use 4G. I have the same problem here and I do exactly the same thing. EE have my father fastest most reliable 4G network but there are 5G it's not great. 

@elixier22   Here you can see I did a few speed tests today between 4G and 5G.    So what’s what about 5G again   And this was performed in my home where EE state that 5G is only available outdoors. So just imagine what speed I could achieve outdoors.       The problem is  no network will guarantee a signal indoors or how good that signal will be.     Buildings block signals so any speed test should be performed outside on the fact the building can impact that connection. 

IMG_0388.jpeg