Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"You can't add a Spend Cap to this number"

trumpeter
Contributor
Contributor

Why on earth not?
This means that every time use the wrong emoticon EE can steal 67p from me and I can't turn it off.

I'm out of contract on a 12month Sim essential, I've been with EE nearly forever, and this is just the most insignificant of my three phones in terms of usage.

If you really need to grab the odd few pence by cheating customers like this you should hang your heads in shame.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I got through to 150 and they've added a spend cap.

It would have been good to achieve this without wasting so much time, but at least it's done now.

Thanks very much for your comments, everyone

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can usually set your phone so that it restricts you from sending MMS's or at least warn you that it will convert SMS's into MMS's.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks XRaySpeX 👍

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @trumpeter

Thanks for coming to the community. 

You can find information in our Text messages converted to photo messages? Help page. 

If you would like the Spend Cap looked into, please give us a call on 150. 

Leanne.

Thanks for that Leanne_T.

The information link you sent does NOT have the information I need. It just has a link to some general instructions, by phone model. And when I follow that link, find the section for my phone, and work through it to the text messaging part, it tells me only how to set up picture messaging, not how to switch it off. That was a waste of my time.

It's very clear that EE doesn't want to make it easy for people to avoid paying for something they can't control, find it hard to prevent, and don't fully understand. In my opinion this is a sneaky and disingenuous practice and EE should be ashamed.

Thanks for reading

I tried texting SPEND CAP to 150 and received "you're not currently eligible to set a Spend Cap".

That translates to "we insist on being able to steal your money and there's nothing you can do about it".

I've spent the last 15 minutes WASTING MY TIME in a queue for 150. You've been 'currently receiving a high volume of calls' since you were Hutchinson Telecom (last CENTURY); that's worn a bit thin, too!

Hang your heads in shame.

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

I seem to remember the spend cap was for "New customers only". If you're on an old out of contract plan, it may not be eligible for it as you can only add one from contracts that started when EE implemented the ability to add the cap?

>>> I seem to remember the spend cap was for "New customers only"

Thanks for your comment, chistery

I think that might be illegal in the UK now. Hasn't the law just changed so that companies shouldn't treat established customers worse than new customers?

I suggest EE takes this on board!

I got through to 150 and they've added a spend cap.

It would have been good to achieve this without wasting so much time, but at least it's done now.

Thanks very much for your comments, everyone

chistery
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

Found the details here...

Only pay monthly customers that have joined or upgraded on or after 1 October 2018 can add a Spend Cap to their account. If your current pay monthly contract started before this date, you can still set up other controls within My EE:

I'm sure EE follow their legal obligations. New or existing customers that upgrade will be treated equally and be able to apply a spend cap.