What justification for a 3.9% increase?

Mattj2021
Investigator
Investigator

48 REPLIES 48
Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Joonbug75  The price increase each year have been happening for years now so it’s nothing new.  

If people don't like it, do what I am going to do and put money aside each month until you have the cancellation fee covered, then switch to another provider.

Personally I am going to change to Virgin Mobile because I can get a phone and sim, with a 25% discount each month through a family member.

That beats the £1 a month "Loyalty Discount" I get from EE after being with EE for around 16 out of the last 18 years.

ewanrw
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

You mean Virgin (and O2) with their RPI + 3.9% = 11.7% annual increase?

@Damienc read the email again.

If you are unhappy with these changes you are able to cancel these number(s) without charge.

I may add you may have to send the phone back.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
ewanrw
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

It's only numbers that are out of contract that can be cancelled. If you're in the min term, you're stuck - but we all agreed to it 😉

Ah yes. Just re-read the email. That line is only for my sim only which is now out of contract but still cheaper than what they are offering me to upgrade to.

The gobbledygook language used in the email sent out by your marketing team was utterly ridiculous - most people would not understand it's a 9% increase, almost £10 a month more - that's crazy, especially for loyal customers already in contracts.
The language and lack of clarity, and the increase read like a "scam". You might get away with it in an email - but I can see the hundreds of calls your support department is going to get when anyone with an iPhone realizes their bill is going up by almost £10 a month.

I may well have signed up for it when I signed and been conned by the small print – I would go as far as saying “mis-sold” by your agents in store- but to say you can put up my bill by whatever you want WHEN in the contract is a scam however you want to spin it.

Let's spread the word - everyone should do the maths. I, for one, will be buying my phone direct from Apple / Samsung from now on and using the cheapest pay-as-you-go monthly SIM I can find. You save a fortune doing it this way. There is zero benefits to an expensive contract if you are a loyal customer! 10+ years with EE but this is just not on. I spend over £160 a month!

Goodbye EE!

It's not a scam and you weren't mis sold.

If you didn't read the small print that is your fault.

It's not an increas of whatever they like.

CPI is set by the government..

Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@wooduk  Yearly price increases are nothing new and it’s been happening for years and it’s within the contract that you agreed to.  Perhaps reading it and understanding it might be your best cause of action before you blame EE for what you actually agreed to within that contract. 

So you're saying its ok you walk into a shop and buy something for £1000 - a week later the shop calls you and says.  Sorry, our prices have gone up we want another £10 from you? 

In this case, i bought a phone from EE AND a contract.  The price has gone up on the phone and the contract.  Is EE paying Apple a bit more for the phone now?  A phone I bought 2 years ago? Has Apple called up EE and said - hey you have managed to get another X% send it over please - this is a genius business model to scam more money out of a customer.

My issue here is on people IN contract.

It's a scam - there are zero benefits in buying a phone on a contract which is more expensive than just buying it on a % credit card and then each year they change you more for a phone you already own.   Apple even offers % interest as well.  So what's the point of EE? 

Anyway - you are clearly a paid person by EE so of course you're on their side.  More interested in customers hearing what other customers have to say - have had enough of "rip-off" Britain.