cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to Bermuda mid contract! few questions please help

lukejpotter
Explorer

Hi,

I have a 24 month contract - Essential plan 100GB (unlimited texts and calls in the UK) that started on the 8th October 2021 and ends on the 8th October 2023. I pay this by direct debit each month

I am moving to Bermuda in April 2022. That's 7 months into my contract.. 

The contract includes my iPhone 13... I paid something like £250 upfront to reduce the monthly cost...

My questions.

1. I want to use my phone abroad so I assume I will need to get a new SIM from a local carrier on the island, will this work in my iphone or will it need unlocking before I go? Or is there anyway i can stay with EE and have a roaming package but also cheap calls on the island? I plan to use this as my day-to-day phone calling other people in bermuda
  2. I assume i'll need to continue paying for my current contract, (that's fine) but is there anyway to possibly reduce the cost as I won't be using any of the allowances?
  3. Do I need to let EE i'm leaving the UK?

Any help would be much appreciated! thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @lukejpotter,

Your iPhone should be unlocked, but you can text UNLOCK to 150 to check.

Best of luck with your move. 🙂

James

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @lukejpotter 

Welcome to the EE Community

You can view roaming costs for Bermuda on the online tool here , but you will remain liable for your contractual monthly charges until the minimum term has ended. The fact you've chosen to emigrate and are unable to use your allowances is immaterial.

If you want to use your EE subscription abroad, you will need to make sure roaming is enabled on your SIM - you can do this via your myEE online account or app. Also by texting ROAMING to 150.

Others should respond on the unlocking situation as I'm not familiar enough to advise.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @lukejpotter,

Your iPhone should be unlocked, but you can text UNLOCK to 150 to check.

Best of luck with your move. 🙂

James

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

I am moving to Bermuda in April 2022. That's 7 months into my contract.. 

The contract includes my iPhone 13... I paid something like £250 upfront to reduce the monthly cost...

My questions.

1. I want to use my phone abroad so I assume I will need to get a new SIM from a local carrier on the island, will this work in my iphone or will it need unlocking before I go? Or is there anyway i can stay with EE and have a roaming package but also cheap calls on the island? I plan to use this as my day-to-day phone calling other people in Bermuda - The roaming options for Bermuda won't be that great. Would definitely recommend ensuring the handset is unlocked so you can buy a SIM from one of the local carriers
    2. I assume i'll need to continue paying for my current contract, (that's fine) but is there anyway to possibly reduce the cost as I won't be using any of the allowances? - Chances are you won't be able to downgrade so would be a case of just leaving the direct debit in place until the contract is paid off OR.... is there anyone who would let you transfer the contract into their name. OR.... if there's someone you would let use the contract and allowances, they could port their number onto your account for the remainder of the term
    3. Do I need to let EE i'm leaving the UK? - No... so long as you're still paying the account each month, there'll be no issue
lukejpotter
Explorer

Thank you all for your help!! I can confirm that the phone is unlocked. Thanks for sharing how to check that.

_MrR_
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

Fantastic - that's good news. 

Wishing you a brilliant move. I'm jealous - would love to move somewhere so nice!

One more tip, make sure you deactivate the voicemail before you head off. Either by sending the words VM OFF to 150 or by typing ##002# into your phone as a phone number then dialling it. It'll ensure no calls are routed to voicemail whilst roaming. 

If you have opted to take the sim with you... why not change it to an eSim. That way you can put the local sim in the slot and use dual sim (I use this method when travelling... a couple of weeks back, I was using a Singaporean sim in my phone but was still able to keep my UK number with data roaming switched off to ensure I stayed connected to receive texts and iMessages).