cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I upgrade a basic calls only sim card contract to include data

ChrissieLinnit
Investigator
Investigator

I've been paying a very basic sim only contract (calls only) for multiple years for a much loved octogenarian relative. The phone she's been using is an old iPhone 4 of mine. We now have an iPhone 11 for her, so we would like to upgrade the sim to fit the phone and have the contract include some data (she will never have internet/technology in the house, but has gotten used to looking at family photos on our phones and sitting in on group chats, so we're pretty confident she will enjoy accessing the family vis her mobile).

The SIM direct debit I am paying to EE has been active for years and there is no evidence of this contract on MyEE.... How do I get this changed/upgraded? Or, do I need to speak to someone at EE to get the sim only contract upgraded and a new SIM dispatched?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Take new phone & old SIM into an EE shop with Photo ID & they'll transfer number, any SIM contacts & credit if applicable to a replacement SIM of correct size for free or order a replacement SIM online at Order a replacement SIM for £1.50 or phone CS for one. It will come as a Combi-SIM with all 3 sizes as push-outs.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @ChrissieLinnit 

Welcome to the EE community

If all you want to do is change the payment plan and your relative's SIM otherwise works, then there's no need for it to be changed regardless of whatever account change you may have.

Having said that, your relative may already have a data allowance without realising - try texting AL or BALANCE to 150 from their phone, and check what the response says.

If your relative wants to change payment plan, then they can do so by either finding the plan they want on their myEE online account and following the "upgrade now" options, or by calling EE C/S on 150 and asking an agent to process a change of payment plan.

Doing a plan change via CS on 150, will often mean the new plan is active almost immediately.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Take new phone & old SIM into an EE shop with Photo ID & they'll transfer number, any SIM contacts & credit if applicable to a replacement SIM of correct size for free or order a replacement SIM online at Order a replacement SIM for £1.50 or phone CS for one. It will come as a Combi-SIM with all 3 sizes as push-outs.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Indeed - iPhone 4 accepts Micro SIM, iPhone 11 takes Nano SIM

What size SIM do I need? Apple Help