New Year’s Health and Fitness Resolutions

Jess_Soothill
Guest blogger

Hello and a very Happy New Year. I hope you’ve all had a wonderful festive period.

My main resolution for 2018 is to look after my wellbeing and fitness; I am specifically aiming to maintain a healthy BMI for better long-term health benefits. For me, as a Mum-of-two in my late thirties, my health is now more imperative than ever before. Controlling my stress level is also important, as I can get quite tense in daily life. Exercise relieves that stress and makes me feel a much happier person, able to deal with pressure and problem solving.

To help me achieve these health and wellbeing goals, I know technology is going to play a huge part; tech supports my life in so many other areas (ordering food, clothes, school admin, work, weather, social etc.) that there’s no reason my health should be an exception.

IMG_9735.jpg

I tend to use apps on my phone and tablets. Using fitness and health applications helps me to monitor my progress and - more importantly - keep me motivated and on track. EE has the best 4G coverage in our local area so I can access my favourite health and fitness apps whether I’m at home or out and about.

From January onwards, I am making changes to my day-to-day routine in order to make time for regular gym sessions. To ensure I stick to my allotted days I have recorded my schedule in my Outlook diary so I can access it anywhere, anytime.

Jess Soothil 3.jpg

For keeping a record of my calories and diet (to support with my BMI and weight loss) I have downloaded 'My Fitness Pal'. On this app, I can log what I’ve eaten and drunk that day by manually selecting the exact foods and drinks from the menu – or by quickly scanning a barcode, which I love! It knows the health information of the products, which is helping me to make better food decisions – I now actively choose foods with lower salt and sugar levels. This app acts as a great incentive for eating healthier and knowing what’s in my food.

IMG_9751.JPG

I can also log my daily activities into the app - when I’m doing the likes of cleaning or taking the children to school for example, I can now track how many calories I’m burning. I have also linked my FitBit to My Fitness Pal, which is perfect as it uploads all my gym work and running data for me. I receive weekly progress reports via email so I can see how I am tracking in comparison to the week before - this really helps me to keep on top of my goals and I can make the changes necessary to ensure I remain on target. You can also compare month on month fitness data, which is extremely useful as I can see how much exercise I did in December, when I wasn’t as focused on my fitness. My FitBit is a great timesaving piece of technology that makes staying on top of my fitness goals that bit easier for me!

For healthy recipes, I often use the Internet for finding new things for the family to try; I can see ingredient information, cooking instructions and calorie information all at once, which is a great time saver! I like websites such as ‘BBC Good Food’ and ‘Delicious Magazine’ because the recipes are easy to find and easy-to-follow.

IMG_9748.jpg

I also use the 'Hello Fresh’ app, which is great because I can order weekly meals for the family straight from the app to my door. I order the family box and we get the exact ingredients needed for the meal, plus the step-by-step recipe cards. I have tried some lovely new dishes recently such as ‘Stir Fry Steak’ and ‘Lemon and Garlic Pork’.

In-between my weekly gym sessions I also do quick YouTube workouts in my living room. These are great for when the children are at home or for straight after the morning school run – I just stream them straight from our Sony Bravia smart TV. In addition to this I also like to use apps to do some quick home workouts. 'Sweat: Kayla Itsines Fitness' is my current favourite for working out because it’s intensive and focuses on cardio; helping me to achieve that healthy BMI. This app is also another good place for getting nutritious recipe ideas.

home-fitness-equipment-1840858_1920.jpg

So, have you got any New Year’s resolutions this year? Is health and fitness one of yours?