cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart Hub & TP-Link AX5400 ArcherAX72

SpaddyWaddy
Explorer

Hi Guys,

I have purchased a TP-Link AX5400 ArcherAX72 so i can benefit from WI-FI 6 and slightly better download speeds. However, I’m not too sure if i have set up both the Smart Hub (SH) and theTP-Link AX5400 correctly?

I have simply turned the WI-FI off on the SH and connected the AX5400 to the SH via the WAN port. In the AX5400 Settings i have chosen to be a “Access Point”. I have internet access with this set up. However, when testing both Routers i seem to only get around 55 mbps. My EE contract says i should be getting over 65mbps. I’m on fibre plus and right next to a BT exchange, so would have thought that my speeds would have been at the higher end of what i was supposed to be getting. I was hoping the the AX5400 would boost my download speed, but it hasn’t? I have read many reviews and it seems that most users see a increase in mbps download speeds using the AX5400. This leads me to think I haven’t set it up correctly with the SH?

Any help would be great. I’m not that good with setting up networks, so any help would need to be in simple terms. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @SpaddyWaddy  from what you have said, it sounds like you have set things uo right and getting speeds I would expect.

Whilst Wi-Fi 6 is great, it will not get you any faster speeds.

It would help if you could post the results after putting your phone number in the BTW DSL checker. That way we can see what your expected and actual sync speeds are.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

SpaddyWaddy
Explorer

Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 23.29.00.png

Here’s what I’m seeing when I enter in my details?

Alas using the address checker does not give as accurate results, and does not show your actual speeds.

PS make sure you don't include personal info like the phone number on the pic.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@SpaddyWaddy wrote:

connected the AX5400 to the SH via the WAN port.

Whose WAN port? It should be SH's LAN to TP-Link's WAN.

@SpaddyWaddy wrote:

My EE contract says i should be getting over 65mbps.

as the sync speed seen by the EE SH. I would imagine that you are getting the 55 Meg from WiFi devices connected to the TP-Link. That isn't what ISPs measure & quote, WiFi is unpredictable & unreliable and WiFi 6 won't make it any faster.

If you would like help with your BB speed or connection issues, please would you carry out the following steps for starters, which will enable us to diagnose the problem and advise you further. Do not restart your router to do these tests:

1. Post your full router stats:

• For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings > System > DSL Status. Also post 'System Uptime' from top of System Log page.
  • For a SmartHub: login and go to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information. Obscure your names & any numbers in the BB Username & also the SSIDs.

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

2. Try a wired speedtest, using an Ethernet cable supplied with the router, here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html . Click on the "Results Page" button at the bottom of the graph you first see and then copy to here just the "Link to this result:" link that you see below the next main graph.

3. What does BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker estimate for your phone number? Post just the whole table and the line above it, blanking out your phone number. If it doesn't recognise your phone number or you don't have one, use the Address Checker, not the Postcode Checker.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)