Landline fault

Gentiene
Investigator
Investigator

I have no dial tone and my phone display is saying check phone line. I also have no broadband. How do I report a fault on the BT landline? BT keep sending me back to EE but I think it’s the incoming landline at fault. Sorry, I’m not tech savvy at all! Thanks everyone.

19 REPLIES 19
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You have EE BB hosted on a BT landline? That's the trouble when you have that. Both suppliers blame each other.

Usually when the phone down the BB still works but at a much slower speed. However in your case you have no BB. So I'd 1st concentrate on the BB by reporting a BB fault to EE by texting HELP followed by your landline number to 60071.

You could confirm that you have no BB at all by checking in the router whether you have BB speeds but no Internet. Which router have you?

OTOH: As BB is dependant on having a connected landline in the 1st place you could chivvy BT to get that working w/out mentioning BB at all.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks X Ray… I think it’s def a fault with the BT incoming line as I have no dial tone on the phone and the phone’s display is telling me to check the phone line. Not sure what router I have but it’s the ultra fast one. It’s very annoying as you say, they don’t tell you that it’s going to be complicated to fix when you have split providers! 

When you speak to BT do not mention broadband, just your phone is not working.

That said have you actually split providers? That was stopped for new broadband contracts several years ago by most suppliers.

If you just pay EE, then you can send a text or use the numbers in xRay's post:

Text EE

Text HELP followed by your landline number to 60071
(charge may apply at your standard rate)

• We’ll run tests on your connection to find out what’s going on
  • If you need an engineer, we’ll text you in 15 minutes to book a slot
  • If you don’t need an engineer, our brilliant UK and Ireland based team will call you within 30 minutes to help solve your issue

Monday to Friday 8am -9pm
    Saturday & Sunday 8am -8pm

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

As your home phoneline is with BT you could try this

https://www.bt.com/help/report-and-track-your-bt-problem

or post here.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-phone-including-Digital/bd-p/Faults 

@XRaySpeX  Broadband will only work slower if the phone fault is one wire disconnected, if both it won't work at all.

@Gentiene wrote:

I think it’s def a fault with the BT incoming line as I have no dial tone on the phone and the phone’s display is telling me to check the phone line.

Not necessarily! As I said earlier you'll get the same symptoms on the handset when there is what we call a "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"). A landline consists of 2 wires, both of which are needed for voice, but only any 1 for BB. Usually when this happens the BB runs slower than usual. The phone handset knows nowt about the BB & therefore can only blame the phone line.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@Mustrum wrote:

split providers? That was stopped several years ago by most suppliers.

No, it never! I had it till recently & could still have it except I went for BB "w/out landline no." from EE. In fact I still have it but completely separated with the BT landline devoid of any BB.

@pip11 : I said "Usually" not "Always"! The former, "one-leg broken" fault (technically "HR Dis"), is more predominant.

I have no broadband. Just two flashing aqua lights. Have contacted ee but nothing yet. I think you are correct… BT only host the line so I guess I will have to wait for ee who currently tell me there is no problem that they can find. Thanks everyone 

pip11
Scholarly Contributor
Scholarly Contributor

This is the phone number for BT landline support, give them a ring and they'll get you sorted.

0800 032 8751