cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to view router browsing history

KC82
Investigator
Investigator

I need to check a website that was viewed on a specific day but cannot find any option to do so on the router log. I have an IP address for the site im looking for. Is there anyway to see if it was connected to?

8 REPLIES 8
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@KC82  that’s not possible but you could possibly see this from the device in question in the browser history provided it hasn’t been cleared. 

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

hI @KC82  in a word, no. No router I know of has that facility.

The device that accessed it may have some info in browser history, but not the router.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

A router doesn't browse. You and the browsers you use do. You should be looking at your browsers' history. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Upon thinking further about this, while the router does not actually route to external sites but just send packets onto the Net, it does keep track of those external IPs for the purpose of routing internally the responses from those sites to the right place. This is the function of the NAT. You might be able to see these external IPs in the NAT Mapping Table. As you haven't said which router you are using I cannot say whether you would have access to this table.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

HI, Not sure how i know which router i have, it just says ee smarthub. Ive looked through all the event log in the technical log on the hubmanager but it only documents connections etc. I cannot find any list of IP addresses anywhere on it. 

HI, Not sure how i know which router i have, it just says EE smart hub. I've looked through all the event log in the technical log on the hub manager but it only documents connections etc. I cannot find any list of IP addresses anywhere on it. 

Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

The info won't be in the event log, as mentioned previously.

You would need to be running something like a business grade router with a lot more functionality than a locked down standard ISP provided device.

No, you won't get access to the NAT Mapping Table with the EE SH. You would have been able with EE's previous "locked down standard ISP provided" router, the EE BrightBox.