IP address

Debbie61313
Investigator
Investigator

Hi. My interenet IP address is telling me im in the US. I definitely live in the UK. This is stopping me from playing some of online games etc. I contacted EE who told me it is something i have downloaded, which i know i havent. I have contacted the site i play on and they can clearly see i am from the UK. upto 24hrs ago i could play them with no problems at all. My internet connection was lost for 20 mins 2 nights ago , when it came back on my IP address had changed. can anyone help or explain how this can be?. many thanks Debbie 

15 REPLIES 15
TheReturn
Investigator
Investigator

What device are you using to play games on? Do you have a VPN enabled?

If you are using an iPhone do you have private relay enabled?

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The geolocation of public IPs isn't always accurate & often locates them at the place where they were 1st registered & not where they are currently being used.

What is the 1st 3 parts, out of 4, of your public IP that is mis-locating you?

All you can do is resync your router a few times, but not too often, to try & get a more acceptable public IP.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Hi. I'm using my PC. I have downloaded nothing since before Xmas. Everything was working A1 until Internet cut out, came back on 20 mins later and IP had changed. Same on my Samsung phone...can't play on that either, same problem. Thank you.

If you google whats my IP what does it say your location is UK?

It tells me im in California. Mountain View

Sent from Mail for Windows

Very strange this doesn’t happen unless there is something locally putting you there. This normally vpn or virus, botnet.

The other possibility whoever had this ip before was running some service which put them in USA and they still have that ip associated with that service and they haven’t updated it to their new ip.

I would unplug your router leave it for maybe 30 minutes and plug it back in.

California. Mountain View, nice, what's the Weather like out there.

I wouldn't know lol, I'm in the UK. My IP showing I'm in the US

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Get Outlook for Android