cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 4G doesn’t work with CCTV

TechDoesntWork
Visitor

Hi all, I am utterly fed up with tech. None of sodding works and only a handful of people seem to know where they’re doing across the whole country. Proven by constant bug fixes, updates and things that just need a restart. 

So I live rurally, BT are useless. They’re internet just doesn’t work! 
I have a Hikvision CCTV system. I’ve been plagued with issues since I first had it fitted.  I’ve had to run it on an EE 4G data sim and after much cost to me in diagnosis costs it’s become apparent that the U.K’s best network provider is the reason my why I can’t playback videos from my f-ing expensive 4K cctv system! It’s a F ing joke! Let me buy a static IP!!!!!!!

4 REPLIES 4
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @TechDoesntWork ,

Sadly, the world is running out of IPv4 addresses so all service providers are needing to make adjustments as IPv6 becomes more widespread and more robust for backward compatibility.

One such adjustment is consumer services such as consumer/personal EE 4G LTE using CGNAT which means you will not have a publicly routable IPv4 address on the internet. It's possible the business side of EE may be able make a bespoke adjustment for your contract on a commercial basis but they are unlikely to change how their network is configured to allow this particular CCTV system to function.

It sounds like the tech is working exactly the way it has been configured to work, which is what people in IT usually find is the predominant case after much debugging.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Why a static IP? I can access my heating and lights remotely without a static IP.?

That said setting up any system that relies on internet connectivity in an area without it is always going to be a challenge.

Have you looked at any other options for internet connectivity.?

Me too! I can see & hear my doorbell rung & my IP Camera from afar all w/out having any static IP.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Browno89
Visitor

Hikvision works fine EE 4G. It must be setup incorrectly. I have 4 pubs running Hik systems over 4G as the landline will only just cope with tills and card payments.

Make sure it is done through P2P. The platform access section in settings. Not had a problem with it.

That being said, EE seem to block a standalone camera i have. It happens multiple times a day but only after the owners have gone home. (holiday home on EE 4G) Its like they see an upload from the camera but there is no download usage so they block it. The cameras seem to use the google DNS server as standard, so ive changed the DNS to the IP of the router so it all goes through EE DNS. This seems to have solved it so far but only modified it yesterday!