Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from BT Home Hub to EE 4g Router

Nick634
Investigator
Investigator

Hi everyone Nick here a new user.

I have just agreed a new contract via BT to change to a EE 4g router, the reason being we are in a remote area and Openreach have no plans to upgrade our copper cable so speed very limited. My questions are

1, will I be able to connect my Neos cctv cameras which require 2.4 ghz to the new router ie can the Wi-fi be split similar to the old Bt hub between 5 and 2.4 ghz?

2, will I be able to connect my hikvision cctv dvr to the router?

3, I  also use an old BT hub as a Wi-fi extender to my garden bar via a cat5 cable I presume this will no longer work so any suggestions as to what to use as  an extender via the cat 5 cable . This also makes my sky tv work in the bar.

My worries are that everything works at the moment but a lot is very slow have I caused a lot of problems by changing or do you think it will all work? I believe I have 14 days from Monday when it arrives to change my mind.

Many thanks for any help, 

Nick.

4 REPLIES 4
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

I don't know this mobile router but there are many things that mobile routers over a mobile network can't do that normal routers over fixed BB can.  It'll be a risk moving from a slow but fully capable & predictable connection to a possibly faster but unknown 1 until you try it.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Profile closed
Not applicable

1. Yes, you can enable split SSIDs for 2.4 and 5GHz in the router settings.

2. No reason why not.

3. You should be able to use one of the LAN ports to plug in your old hub and use as an extender.

Thank you, just a bit nervous at changing things, I set this all up about 5 years ago and it took me a while to get it to work , but it’s nice to know people are here to help if I need it… could be a busy few days.

GrenadierMike
Visitor

H Nick I can tell you 100 % tried and tested by myself yes you can add a cat 5 cable from your new hub to a netgear 8 port switch splitter and use these ports to add other devices from these cables.

I have my x box added and a printer from a net gear 8 port switch splitter and I will add more devices soon.

Buy the cable on ebay and the netgear device is a Netgear Pro safe 10/100 Desktop switch PS108.

My hub shows 2 bars and 3 is the full signal but it works brilliantly with no lagging .

Enjoy your new hub and good luck with your devices and adjustments .Regards Mike the X Grenadier Queens Guardsman.