cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I set up an Apple Watch not bought from EE

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

If you have purchased an Apple Watch from a third party, second hand or as a gift; this post should cover everything you need to know.

To use the full data and calling capabilities, you will need to have an iPhone 6s or a newer model (including SE) on an EE pay monthly or SIM only plan, and be running the latest iOS Software>

What mode should I choose?

You'll need to know what mode you want to set up the Apple Watch in.

You can select "set up for myself" in the Apple Watch App, which will enable you to buy a Personal Plan for your watch to use in conjunction with your iPhone. Or you can select "set up for a Family Member" which will enable you to buy a Family Member Plan. 

Family Member Plans allow you to have a separate plan with it's own number and allowances. Once you're set up, you'll be able to set screen time limits, turn on features such as location sharing and activity minutes tracking.

Once set up your Family Member will be connected and have their own mobile plan to make or receive calls, messages, use Siri, Maps and more. 

I bought an Apple Watch on my contract as a gift; what do I need to do?

The Apple Watch and iPhone must both be on the same EE account. If this is not the case, you will need to call 150 to get the data plan set up (we may need to do a credit check on the person who will be using the Apple Watch). 

My Apple Watch was bought from a third party; what do I need to do?

If your Apple Watch was bought somewhere other than EE, such as Apple, John Lewis, Argos or somewhere else, you will need your My EE log in details to buy the plan and pair the Watch with your iPhone on EE.

If you have bought your Watch from a third party as a gift for the recipient to use with a Personal Paired plan, they will need an EE account and their My EE log in to activate the Watch with their iPhone. It's really important the watch and the iPhone are on the same account.

Full step by step support on pairing an Apple Watch can be found on the How do I pair my Apple Watch with my iPhone post.

I have purchased a second hand Apple Watch; what do I need to do?

Here are a few things you will need to check;

• The Apple Watch will need to have been unpaired by the previous owner from their iPhone.
  • If this hasn't been completed the Apple Watch will be activation locked which means you cannot pair this to another iPhone.
  • Details on activation lock can be found on the Apple support pages. Although you will not be able to unlock a watch that is still connected to someone else's Apple ID.

Once the above is complete you're ready to pair the Watch with your iPhone, details can be found on our How do I pair my Apple Watch with my iPhone post.

If you have any question just tap "Reply" below and we'll be happy to help.

23 REPLIES 23
Ponda3
Explorer

I have purchased an Apple Watch series 6 thinking I could just add/pair with my iPhone 7?? 
however  I try to set up mobile data and every time I try to sign in to my EE. It tells me it can’t find my account details. My EE app works I can see all bloody 4 phones on my account. But how do I add my watch????? 

Katie_B

Hello @Ponda3

Are you setting your watch up via the Apple Watch app on your phone?

During set up, you should be prompted to purchase the data add-on to pair with your account. 

Speak soon, 

Katie.

Hi there Katie, 

EE told me that they are experiencing problems with the My EE App, and one it effects. 
I have tried several times to go through the Apple Watch app to set it up but it fails every time. 
I’ve spoken with EE on the phone today and the guy said it could take longer than a month until EE can fix it! 
thanks though. 

Hi spoke with EE yesterday as was trying to set mine up and this, they told me normally they resolve things on 72 hours being a weekend. I started with code 006 which they don’t recognise your log in credentials, now i have 007 I’m not authorised for another sim if something like, although Apple Watch works different 

Love them to say a month to me as was them who advised I cancel my contract my old one and start a new with my new series 6, but then the advisor i spoke with yesterday said its easy to transfer  

sounds like they don’t exactly know them selves, or a least some of them 

Christopher_G

Fingers crossed they manage to get you connected soon, @147Karl.

Keep us updated on what happens.

Chris

Still non the wiser but I’m told there working on it 🤞🏻

just as a follow up question, I'm thinking of buying a series 6 apple watch elsewhere, what is the cost of the data add-on when pairing to your existing ee account?

It’s about £7 per month 

Leanne_T

Hello @ironpants

Welcome to the community.

You can add a 30-day smartwatch plan, which you can buy through the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, this includes 10GB of data and is £7 a month.

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.