cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why am l not receiveing mms photos on my iphone from an android phone

Nadine14
Investigator
Investigator

Both myself and my father have iphones.  The same person sent photos via mms to both of us.

I received the photos on my telephone but my father didnt.  Instead he received a message from EE with a link explaining they couldnt be sent to him.

I know for definite that l was connected to my house wifi but l cannot remember if my  ee mobile data was turned on as well.

My father would have been connected to the wifi but the  ee mobile data was turned off.

Do you have to turn ee mobile data on to receive mms from an android phone even if you are connected to wifi

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

In a word - yes. 

It is only apps such as Whatsapp/Messenger that are free to use WiFi - I believe mms messages are chargeable.

Receiving MMS is free!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Sorry, I meant picture messages.

This article may help the OP @Nadine14  understand the issue:

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getting-started-and-upgrading/using-your-phone-features/how-do-i-send... 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @Nadine14 

As long as you have a working data connection, sending & receiving MMS should be possible. Whether that's by WiFi or mobile data should be immaterial.

And it's free to receive MMS, you are only charged when you send.

If your father's phone has received a link in-lieu of the expected message, then lack of data is unlikely to be the cause. The network should still have attempted to send the photo and I'd expect you to get an error with the picture download.

Is the sender able to re-send the picture and see if the same problem happens?

@Nadine14  If Wi-Fi calling isn’t enabled on the device then cellular data has to be enabled,     Wi-Fi calling gives you a working signal to receive/make calls/texts/MMS. but you’ll not receive anything if cellular data is off and Wi-Fi calling also off.  You don’t need both on if you have a decent cellular signal you just need data left switched on.  If cellular data was off and Wi-Fi calling is also off then you’ll receive the message saying a MMS has been sent and you’ll not get the MMS on the device as you did before cellular data was enabled on your device   

Hi Chris

What l dont understand is that my father was at home connected to his wifi.  Are you saying that even if you are connected to wifi you still need to turn mobile data on to receive mms from an android phone?

You need to be connected to either the mobile network (with data enabled) or WiFi-calling to enable MMS sending or receiving.