cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 12 4g tariff??

redbullman
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I was excited to switch from Android to the new iPhone 12 this year.  Like a large proportion of the UK population I cannot get 5g on EE.  Are EE seriously forcing people into paying a frankly ludicrous £57 per month for a 10gb 5g contract when I can't get 5g?  Last year all your 5g phones had an option to take out a 4g tariff.  Many just want the phone on 4g either because they can't get 5g or have no need for it.  Do I really only have the option to take this out on a contract for something I cannot get in my area? Let many people 5g has no interest to me.  We're all stuck at home on WiFi anyway thanks to covid19!

Surely EE will rethink this and bring out 4g tariffs?  Or is this Apple forcing your hand?

The equivalent iPhone 11 was much cheaper on 4g, which is what many people want.

Very disappointing EE!

9 REPLIES 9
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@redbullman  £57 x 24 is £1368 and that’s with a trade in of a iPhone X or XR or 7,7+ or 8,8+ to save £200 or £100. So that’s a £800 for the device (64gb version) that leaves £568 for the line so that’s £284 per year or £23.66 per month for the line. And that’s unlimited calls/texts and 100Gb of data.   When you break it right down it’s not it’s not as high as it seems.   

redbullman
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks Chris. But EE are charging a premium for a tariff that a lot of the country can't get.  iPhone 11 tarifs when brand new were about £50.  They are charging £7 extra a month for a something most of us can't get or dont want. We should have the choice to take this out on a 4g tariff.  It's bad enough coming from android we have to pay for charger as they've removed it from the box to make more money!

@redbullman   Since the 11 came out costs have increased because of the RPI/CPI increased.  You can not expect to get the same price as last year.  And if EE want to sell these as 5G tariffs only than that’s what they’ll be. The device will still get 4G just like when 4G was rolled out there was areas that only still got 3G.  The 5G network will be expanded just like 4G did.  

redbullman
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If this is EE's decision, it is a big mistake.  They will lose customers. Last year on all 5g phones they gave customers the option to take them out on 4g tariffs as well.  EE have made a big mistake here.  Why should you be forced into paying extra for something you can't get? Leaves a bad taste in the mouth. People can say RPI all they like. They have already removed the charger from the box to save money (apple), for EE to charge £7 extra a month and £50 for the phone in a pandemic is outrageous.

There are already better deals on other networks out there. This just comes across as money grabbing. I'm sure all EE customers are distinctly unimpressed with this tactic of forcing people to pay for a 5g tariff.

Very poor business decision by EE, to do this with with the state of economy in this country.

@redbullman , have you tried ringing customer service to see what they can offer by way of tariff?

You could always get the phone from Apple and get a monthly payment plan from them and then a sim only plan from EE, which does not have 5G if you so wish.

I cannot see why they would lose customers just because they offer the 5G plans when getting a phone with 5G, after all that is why customers get the 5G phones to have a 5G plan.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.
redbullman
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Yep I might do that. The reason they will loose customers is people want the latest iPhone on a tariff for where they live. I don't know anybody who can get 5g or anybody who would even want it.  We are all spending more time at home for obvious reasons and WiFi is more relevant in the time we are living in.  People don't like to feel ripped off by paying for something they can't get or want. They just want the latest iPhone on a reasonable tariff - not a 5g one.

To most people that would be entirely reasonable. I don't think I'm asking a lot. Well maybe on EE lol!!!!

No one is locking you in to EE - if you want to go with Vodafone, Three UK, etc. you can

redbullman
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Of course. I've been on EE for years as reception is good.  But yep if they are going to rip people off by forcing them into 5g contracts for the phone they want, then I and many others will change network!

Not giving people choice is extremely bad business practice.

I agree.

I pay £16 a month, vs the £10 I was paying for 60GB data on 5G EE, can barely use 5G for the moment, but 5G will become more prevalent - this is on a 5G Sim Only plan.