Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WhatsApp issue on new iPhone

Annehm
Investigator
Investigator

Hi everyone

I have set up everything on my new iPhone but have a problem with WhatsApp. I am trying to verify my phone number on my new phone but I am unable to receive a verification code from them via sms. My new phone works fine, I can make a receive calls and send and receive messages so I don’t understand why I am unable to receive a verification code from WhatsApp via sms. My old phone number was ported over to my new phone this morning so everything should work?  
whatsapp still works on my old phone even without any phone service as I had switched from o2 to EE and after porting the o2 service stopped. 
Can anyone help me solve this please. 

16 REPLIES 16
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Annehm  On your new device and with settings phone is your number shown correctly?     

Yes it is shown correctly 

Sorry I should have said hi and thank you for replying to my post

@Annehm  That’s good. 

Enter the 6-digit code you receive via SMS.

If you didn't receive the 6-digit code by SMS

Wait for the progress bar to finish and retry. The wait may take up to 10 minutes.

Don't guess the code, or you will be locked out for a period of time.

If the timer runs out before you receive the code, an option will appear to request a phone call. Choose the Call me option to request the call. When you answer the call, an automated voice should tell you the 6-digit code. Insert that to verify WhatsApp.

Troubleshooting steps
If you are having issues verifying, please try the following:
Reboot your phone (To reboot your phone, turn it off, wait for 30 seconds, and turn it back on).
Delete and reinstall the latest version of WhatsApp.
Send a test SMS message from any phone to your own phone number exactly as you entered it in WhatsApp, including the country code, to check your reception.

I have done all of that. The call option didn’t work and just added extra time to wait for another code via sms. I have tried all the troubleshooting options and still cannot receive an sms from WhatsApp. I have tried their help service but they just played back to me the generic stuff on their website and said I can only receive the code by sms or phone call. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@Annehm wrote:

My old phone number was ported over to my new phone this morning so everything should work? 
Can anyone help me solve this please. 

Are other text messages sent your ported-in number being received on your new phone as expected?

If necessary, send a text from your new phone to your ported-in number as a test.

Hi Bristolian 

yes, I am receiving text messages on my new iPhone with no issues. Have received some from EE and others from friends. I also texted myself and it works fine

Should I remove my phone number from my old phone? I ask as WhatsApp is still working on my old phone and I know you can’t have WhatsApp on 2 phones. 

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

You could definitely try this, @Annehm.

Can you try restarting both phones once you've done this?

Jon