cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac dropping hotspot to my phone

KiwiKaren
Investigator
Investigator

I connect my mac to my iphone's personal hotspot for Zoom calls (because my wifi isn't strong enough). That means I need it to stay connected for at least 90mins. It did this in the past with no problems and remained connected for as long as I needed it to. Now, like this year, it drops constantly - and my Zoom calls freeze. I can't find a reason for the dropping. Any suggestions please.

12 REPLIES 12
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Have you ceased your Zoom subs? Free Zoom only goes for 40 mins, if I remember.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Apologies, to be clear - this is nothing to do with Zoom (I have a Pro account). The hotspot dropping happens on anything I am doing on my Mac. However, it's not so much of a problem to recconnect when doing email or other work. The problem is when I am on a Zoom call, it clearly doesn't look good to a client to be freezing and losing part of the conversation - even tho it only akes a minute to reconnect.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @KiwiKaren,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Does your Mac lose connection to the hotspot, or does the phone lose its connection to the mobile network?

James

Hi James,

I can only assume it's my Mac dropping connection  because sometimes my phone still indicates its connected (icon top of home screen) when it isn't and it takes a few more seconds to catch up.

James_B

Hi @KiwiKaren,

Have you tried a wired connection between your phone and Mac to see if that resolves the issue?

James

My phone is typically plugged into my Mac (as hotspotting drains the power) and that doesn't resolve the problem.

James_B

Hi @KiwiKaren,

In your Mac's network settings, are you selecting iPhone USB, rather than WiFi?

James

If I am understanding what you mean, then I don't typically get a choice. There is usually a section called "personal hotspots" and its listed under that (as it is today), else its listed with all the other 10-15 wifi connections in the list.

James_B

Hi @KiwiKaren,

Please see this Apple support article for further details on how to establish a wired connection.

James