cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 5s wifi connection

pka1
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

My old iphone 5s intermittently loses connection with my EE Smarthub, and with other routers while out and about. If I switch wifi off in the phone settings, then connection via the EE airwaves is fine.

I've tried all the switching on and off combinations.

Windows laptop connection with the fibre hub is fine also. Could it be the phone battery is on the way out?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@pka1  The 5s is a very old device and if you’ve never had a new battery it’s probably ( would be ) best to have one put in.   To find out how many battery cycles the battery has had you could download an application on a PC called COCONUT BATTERY ( it’s free ). This will show how good that battery is.   

Battery health will not give you poor intermittent problems with Wi-Fi

though you might get apps just shutting down as they are drawing battery power and the device can not cope because of a poor battery. 

Have you tried a network reset on the device? This will reset all network connections back to factory settings so it’s the first thing I would try.  

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

For an EE Smart Hub, but not an EE Smart Router, try separating the wireless bands/SSIDs. On the Advanced > Wireless Settings page of the SH there is a button near the top to Separate the Bands. Turn it ON. Then the 5GHz SSID will appear starting with "5GHz-" & the 2.4 GHz SSID not starting with "5GHz-". Then connect your devices to the 2.4 GHz SSID if they can't do 5GHz. The Smart Router doesn't allow this.

Apples in particular are not happy with combined WiFi bands.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

@XRaySpeX  Say what ?  My bands are not separated and I’m getting along just fine, in fact I did separate them and then about five months ago I join them back up and I have noticed no difference whatsoever on all my Apple devices all nine that I can think of away.   

Im now going to have to separate them again and test.  

pka1
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Thanks Chris,

Yes it's a very old device with a very old owner, and its second battery has been going a while. I tried the network reset and first signs are good - 20 minutes of a football match uninterrupted. I'll get a new battery soon anyway, just to keep the antique going. There are advantages in only having IOS 12, no NHS app for a start, and the 5s is proven to be droppable.

Cheers,

Paul