cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Business call about iPhone 12 - could quite easily be a scam

mcnaugha
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

A few days ago, someone called me saying they were from EE. They said they’d called because I’d expressed an interest in the iPhone 12. I had registered my interest with my email address. They said that it was effectively a courtesy they were extending at the moment and when I said I was thinking I wanted the Pro Max they offered to call back on the 6th of Nov to take my order.

I didn’t think too much of it for a couple of days there but eventually the grey matter coughed-up the question... what if that was a scam? It would be quite a good one because I have previously had to give card details to pay an upfront fee.

Now, I’m worried about how I establish the authenticity of the caller on 6th Nov if they call me versus me calling EE’s number. I work in Cyber Security. So, this is why I have a suspicious mind about these things.

so, I guess I’m here asking if anyone else with a Business contract received one of these calls and if an EE community staff member can do anything to confirm or deny that these calls are in fact genuine? In addition, how can we authenticate these calls when we answer them?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mcnaugha
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I emailed Ayesha and confirmed it was genuine and she has now added a note to my account. So, unfortunately calling the Business Care Team provided me with the wrong answer. Usually Googling a phone number doesn't help much either but in this case it solved the mystery.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@mcnaugha   The best way to avoid this is for you to call them yourself.  If you receive a call be polite and say I’ll call customer services myself. 

mcnaugha
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

Yes but she dangled the "Only I can give you the best discounts" carrot. Which adds up to an even greater scam... if it is a scam... because I'm now not wanting to call myself so that I don't miss out on an opportunity of a lower price.

I suspect it's genuine and a new approach, perhaps driven by the current pandemic situation but they've not really thought this through in terms of the potential requirement for me to give over card details. I recall getting a strange call from Santander a few years ago and the guy asked me security questions. I refused point blank to give them because he had called me. They went on to write to me instead but it delayed a process.

If they'll let me add the upfront fee to my bill then that would be fine. I have found that in the space of 24hrs I experienced two different EE staff where one was fine to add the upfront fee to my bill and another that told me he must take payment from me now via a card. The inconsistency examples are something I see regularly on this forum.

The other issue I have we EE's operations is that every time I place an order... I do not get a confirmation email. I don't think this happens with consumer orders. Perhaps just business orders. So, I never feel confident that my order is in the system. Every other company sends you an immediate order confirmation with reference number. With EE, you're on a wing-and-a-prayer until you get that DPD text to say your device in on its way. So, if I proceeded with placing an order with this kind of a call, I could relax a bit if I get an official confirmation email immediately. For the moment, I'm counting on her asking me to agree to the terms during the call and in some ways that confirms it's really EE. Usually when I'm agreeing to a new contract, the send you that text that takes you to a special site when you virtually agree to terms.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @mcnaugha

Welcome to the community.

If you speak to our Business Care team, they'll be able to confirm if it was us who contacted you and check your contact information for the confirmation emails.

Chris

The call came in from a London number and the EE customer services rep said that doesn’t sound right. Normally EE outbound calls would appear from a mobile number. There was no notes in my account to record the fact that the call took place. If it’s genuine then the sales team is making a mistake by not adding a note to my account.

We’ll see what happens on 6th Nov.

mcnaugha
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I should have done this to begin with... I just googled the number that called me and found it here: [mod edit: removed to ensure safety]

Im thinking there is more and more BT crossover these days and I’m wondering if that makes the disconnect/continuity between sections even worse.

mcnaugha
Skilled Contributor
Skilled Contributor

I emailed Ayesha and confirmed it was genuine and she has now added a note to my account. So, unfortunately calling the Business Care Team provided me with the wrong answer. Usually Googling a phone number doesn't help much either but in this case it solved the mystery.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know @mcnaugha

Have a lovely weekend.

Leanne.