cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Phone suddenly losing signal - Huawei P30

JennyAS
Investigator
Investigator

I have this exact same problem with my Huawei p30 pro. I put the sim in, it works fine. Then after a few mins to a few hours, it disconnects and says 'emergency calls only'. Restarting the phone usually brings the sim back to life. If not turning the phone off, turn it on again might do it. Sometimes not. Try again in a few hours, it'll come back eventually! But never for long! I've cleaned sim, restarted in safe mode, done a factory reset. All will bring signal comes back, but then it drops again! I now have a brand new sim card. Works fine. Then it doesn't! It's driving me nuts! Was this issue resolved? Please help!

9 REPLIES 9
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @JennyAS 

Thanks for coming here. 

Does this happen in more than one area? 

Are you able to try the SIM card in another phone to see if the same happens? 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne. 

I tried the sim in my old phone and it was fine for 5 days. I gave up then as my old phone is very hard to charge up and is a pain. I put the old sim back in my Huawei and it was fine for a couple of days, then kept dropping the sim. I've now had a brand new sim and it worked fine for a few hours then cut out again. It's the phone not the sim. Signal is fine on my partners phone and my work phone and I can see the transmitter from my house, so not a signal issue. It's the same whether I'm at home or away. I restarted the phone last night and got a signal. This morning it was back to emergency calls only. I restarted it and still the same. I turned the phone off for a minute, turned it back on and the signal came back. Sometimes it is a few hours and several restarts before my SIM comes back. The phone was fine for the first couple of months that I had it, before it stated this constantly dropping sim card. 

Leanne_T

Hi @JennyAS 

Thanks for confirming, where did you purchase the phone and how long ago? 

Leanne 🙂

The phone is second hand and is no longer under guarantee.  I've had it 5 months and it was fine for the first two. I just want to know if there is a way to fix this issue, even at a cost, rather than throw away a phone that is otherwise perfectly fine. Everything else works great, no issues with WiFi calling, WhatsApp, Internet, Email etc It is just the intermittent nature of the availability of the SIM that I can't understand. It works fine and then it doesn't. There seems to be a number of other users of the same phone with the same issue, so I thought it might be a known fault. If it didn't recognise the SIM at all, I'd get that! Is there any hope? 

Leanne_T

Thanks for the extra details @JennyAS 

We do offer device repairs, you can find out more information in our Mobile Phone Repairs, Help page. 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

Mart876
Explorer

Jenny, I'm keen to know if and how this problem was solved. Experiencing exactly the same as you have described. 

Both the Huawei P30 and P30 Pro are excelent Phones and are worth repairing, if I was to have a really wild guess on this, -

Bent Sim Card Holder,

Dirty Sim Contacts on the Phone or Contacts are  out of alignment (Most of these Devices we're Dual Sim, does the problem exist in the second Sim Slot) .

Battery is on its way out, does the issue still drop Signal when fully charged or on consent Charge (ie Pluged in) . 

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated. The sim works well in an old spare phone and the battery works well, full of charge. 

Leanne_T

Hi @Mart876 

If the SIM works in another phone, this does indicate the phone is causing this and may need looked at. How long have you had the Huawei p30?

Leanne 🙂