cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem unlocking an old EE phone

NickyGalea
Investigator
Investigator

I am trying to unlock my old EE phone for my partner to use.  It is a Samsung Galaxy A20e.  I am trying to follow the online instructions but it keeps sending me in circles.  I enter the IMEI number and it confirms the phone model and that it is locked to EE.  I click on 'unlock this device' and it gives me an unlock code.  It says 'hit on the link below and we'll explain how to use your unlock code to finish things up'.  I click on the 'unlock your Samsung device link', but all it does is take me to a page that explains that it's free of charge to unlock a device, and that some devices are already unlocked etc.  There is a link saying 'unlock your device' but when I hit on this is takes me back to the beginning again where it asks for the IMEI number.  There is no other link on that page or any instructions explaining how to use the unlock code.  Please could you let me know how I use the unlock code to unlock this phone?  Many thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @NickyGalea 

Have you tried another sim to see if it is unlocked.

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

Hi, thank you for your reply.  I haven't tried another sim yet.  The phone I am trying to unlock takes a nano sim, and my partners sim in his phone is a micro sim, which is of course larger.  It is the type of sim that I can push the middle out to make it into a smaller nano sim, but I am worried that if I do that and the newer phone is locked then I won't be able to put the sim back into his old phone as it will be too small and  he'll be without a phone!  Many thanks, Nicky

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @NickyGalea 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Please give us a call on 150, and the team can check if the device is unlocked for you and help you complete the unlocking request if this is not unlocked at the moment. 

Leanne 🙂

Peppzi
Visitor

Hi,

Did you get a fix on this ? I had exactly the same problem.

Christopher_G

Hi @Peppzi 

Welcome to the community.

Have you tried unlocking your device through our online unlocking tool? What happens when you try to?

Chris

Hi there.

After Googling the problem I could see that lots of people were having the same issue with trying to unlock a phone via the EE website.  So I took a chance and put the old sim into the other phone and hey presto it asked me there and then for the unlock code.  I entered this code into the phone and it unlocked it.  So it would appear that unlocking a phone via the website doesn't work (or it didn't back then anyway!)

Hope you can get your problem sorted. 

Steveandolly12
Visitor

The same as the txt above going around in circles 

Christopher_G

Hi @Steveandolly12 

Could you try doing it on a different device or browser to see if the same problem happens please?

Chris

I tried this today and go round in circles online, when you ring them u get sent the same request as online, very annoying, no help at all