cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor 4G Signal on A21s

VenoMx9
Investigator
Investigator

4G works fine at my house ( about 37 megabit per second )

But over at the families house it's really slow, like 1.5megabit per second

I used the coverage checker on the EE website, and it says " You won't get 4G coverage here "

Strange. As If I enter my Huawei Y7 or iPhone 7 into the coverage checker, it says I can get 4G

So why can I not get 4G coverage on my phone at my families house, but with other phones I can ?

6 REPLIES 6
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @VenoMx9

Welcome to the community.

Are you saying that if you put your SIM into another phone at your family's house, you get a better connection? Or are you just talking about the estimates on the coverage checker?

Are you on contract or pay as you go?

Chris

Hey, thanks.

My family member has a Galaxy S10e and uses the EE network with another provider and gets 4G signal at about 10megabit per second.

My phone however only gets about 1Megabit per second, so I'd assume it's on 3G and not 4G.

If I go to the coverage checker, it says my phone cannot get 4G there, but if I change the coverage checker to other phones such as iphones or huawei, it says I can get 4G. So the problem is with the phone somewhere.

I'm on contract.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

I'm not sure why that is, @VenoMx9.

It may be worth speaking to our technical support team so they can look into that for you.

Chris

The Samsung S10e is a Compact Flagship Device whilst the A21s is a fairly Basic Budget Phone so technically less performable on 4G Networks.

The S10e is a 4G Category 20 Spec, the A21s is 4G Category 4 so a vast difference in LTE Performance.

A 4G Signal and Speed will not be the same on all Devices, the Evolution of 4G Network Speeds have come a long way since its introduction, to include 4G+, Improved Carrier Aggregation (CA) and Antenna MiMo.

Your probably find the A21s is just Displaying a 4G Signal were as the S10e is showing 4G+, so the Speed difference is probably just the limitations of the Devices with Network Quality, or the only other reason could be if the A21s Device originated from another Region outside of the UK / EU market.

Techy Specs from Samsung -

A21s, 4G (LTE) CAT4 (150Mbps/ 50Mbps) max DL / UL Speeds.

S10e 4G+ (LTE A) CAT20, 7CA 4x4 MiMo (2000Mbps/ 150Mbps) max DL / UL Speeds 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @VenoMx9 

@VenoMx9 wrote:

So why can I not get 4G coverage on my phone at my families house, but with other phones I can ?

This can often happen when the primary coverage is provided by EE's "extended range" 800Mhz (Band 20) service, which relies on having a VoLTE-compatible device & SIM combination.

If a particular device is flagged on the coverage tool as not being VoLTE-compatible, then "you won't get coverage here" is the expected result.

If this is indeed the cause, then speeds will be inherently reduced due to the limited amount of capacity available on this 4G-band.

OK thanks for the information everyone!