cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMEI not recognised

Sophie1985
Visitor

Please help!

I bought a huawei p30 pro from music magpie locked to EE. I'm now needing to change network. For some reason EE don't recognise my IMEI number. Is there anything I can do to get my phone unlocked as the support group haven't really helped. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @2003BE,

I've sent you a private message to grab some details.

Thanks

James

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Sophie1985 : You cannot use the online unlocking form for 2nd-hand phones.

To unlock a 2nd-hand phone you need to call Customer Services on +44 800 956 6000 (option 2, option 4) to put you in touch with the Unlocking Team to request an Unlock Code. You will be asked for your email addy. They will take payment (of £8.99) from any valid UK bank card.

Once the process has been started you will receive an email from the Unlocking Team to process the unlock. It can take up to 10 days to complete the unlock.

But even so beware that EE could still refuse to unlock it. Many phones sold 2nd-hand have been reported lost or stolen, have been sold by the original owner when under 6 months old without EE's permission or have money owing on them.

If that is the case your only remedy is against whoever you got the phone from.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I have the same situation here, bought a second hand Samsung s9 from Game, I now wish to change my provider to Virgin I have so far made 3 phone calls to EE to get this moving but first they told me it wasn't locked to EE. It is because it was the reason I bought the phone in the first place, also when I put a new sim in it prompts for the unlock code.

Second I was told the Virgin sim should just work anyway, which it does not, I was then told the IMEI number was not recognised and was told they would call me back. 

They didn't call me back, I called for a third time to be told I have to take it back to where I bought it?

Game won't be open with shops being closed but I don't u derating why it is not recognised, I have did a test online to find out if the phone has been lost or stolen which it came back as not (i don't know if this was a reliable website though)

I am having the same issuse with my phone and I am sick of calling EE to try and unlock it. Did you get sorted or have any tips? 

Katie_B

Hello @Lesleydw4

Thanks for coming to the community. 

What was advised when you spoke with our customer service agent who directed you back to the seller?

Katie.

Nothing was really advised, just told that I had to take it back to where I bought it from to unlock it.

I said I wasn't even sure if they unlocked phones and they just told me to call them.

I have not called game yet, I don't think this is a service they provide 

Katie_B

Hi @Lesleydw4

I have sent you a private message for more details. 

Katie 🙂

@Sophie1985 My Phone is supposedly new from ee and my imei isnt recognised.

when i filled out the online form, ee didnt recognise my phone number and prompted me for imei instead which wasnt recognised.

Now im wondering if they sold me a 2nd hand unit?

@Macca130767  Where did you get the device from ?     Any device you purchase directly from EE is registered to your EE account and the IMEI number is part of that registration.  

It came from ee online.

It shows on app, but when i fill out online form thats where i have the issue.

Ive started the process via customer service now, as its still in contract but over 6 months old