cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to use network in USA despite active roaming

Supermorff
Investigator
Investigator

Roaming is activated on my phone and in my account, and before I travelled to the USA I activated the Roam Further Pass by texting to 150 (and it does appear in my list of add-ons on the account). But now I'm in the USA and the phone has no signal and can't detect any networks.

Last time I travelled to the USA in December I was using the Travel Data Pass and I also had no signal for the entire trip, but now I'm paying £10 for a month of not getting anything I would like to please sort this out.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thank you, @XRaySpeX . I was able to connect with someone over the internet, and it took a while but they resolved the issue and I now have data roaming working.

Not sure why it happened, but my wifi network was interfering with the scanning for mobile networks, both automatic and manual. Turn off the wifi, do the manual search, then turn wifi on again and it's all fixed.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Schockwave
Community Hero
Community Hero

Hello @Supermorff ,

Welcome to the community,

Did you make sure that roaming,, call abroad and premium calls are activated in settings, which you can do via the My EE App or website by logging in to your Account? Just because you have the roam further pass or travel data pass, does not mean roaming is activated.

If you are unable to do this and you have Skype, you can ring customer service for free, you will find the free number by clicking on the contact us at the top of this page. Also, if you have not restarted your mobile, try that. You may also want to do a manual search for a network, T-Mobile should work, if I remember rightly, when I was there in 2019.

To contact EE customer service dial 150 from your mobile phone or ring customer service for free using Skype or another phone: +44 800 079 8586 or +44 800 956 6000.

Hi @Schockwave, thanks for the quick response.

As I said in my first post, roaming and call abroad are both activated in settings. (I'm not sure about Premium Calls or where that is or whether it's important?) I have restarted my phone several times, and my phone can't find any networks, whether EE or T-Mobile or otherwise.

When I was in the USA in 2019, my roaming worked fine using the same phone, but since I came back in December I get nothing.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Supermorff,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Is roaming still showing as active in My EE if you go to Menu > Account Settings > Parental and Data Controls?

Have you been able to test your phone in more than one location to rule out a local network issue?

James

Hi @James_B,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, roaming is still showing as active in MyEE.

I have tried the phone network in two locations, the airport (in a large city) and the resort where I'm staying (over a hundred miles away from the airport), as well as a little bit en route.

Something I've just noticed is that, in the 'Network and Internet' screen on my phone, under Calls and SMS it says 'EE (Temporarily unavailable)'. No explanation as to why, however.

@Supermorff  Have you restarted the device since you got there ? 

Hi @Chris_B,

Yes, I have restarted the device several times since arriving. I've done it again just now to make sure it's still the same, and yes it's still the same.

James_B

Hi @Supermorff,

You won't be able to connect to the EE network when outside the UK. 

If you scan for networks manually, are you able to select T-Mobile?

iPhone - Settings > Mobile Data > Network Selection > Turn off Automatic

Android - Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Operators > Tap OK

James

Hi @James_B,

When I unselect the option to find networks automatically, it takes me to a page headed 'Choose networks', loads for a while, then says 'No networks found.'

James_B

Hi @Supermorff,

Please get in touch with Customer Care so our technical support team can run through some diagnostics with you.

They'll be happy to help.

James